Thread: Simple Cherry and Walnut Shelf

Simple Cherry and Walnut Shelf

So I pirated this design from Family Handyman magazine, cut it down from three shelves to two and about 10" off the height.

The story on the wood is a bit neat. I've found a source for "low" grade cherry for $1.15/ Bd Ft. This shelf came from one 100" length ~6inches wide. To get the width and front overhang I wanted on the top, I split the piece I was going to use and inserted a strip of walnut. Shelves and top are just but joints with biscuits.

First work I've done in cherry, a bit of a learning experience. I am wondering though: I had a bit of trouble with blade burns, both from the tablesaw and router that I don't typically have in walnut or maple. Is this typical of cherry? I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the sugar content... it sure smells sweet when cut.

Also the first time I've tried the recessed hangers... not too bad, just careful chisel work.

Anyways... let loose the comments and criticism. Nothing fancy here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to me!! Nice and simple design.

I like the floors too, what type of bamboo is that? I put down Teragren Synergy in my first floor, the stuff is tough as nails (literally, I hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't dent...).

Thanks!

The floors are "natural" bamboo in the vertical orientation from ... can't remember the maker. Lumber Liquidators' not cheapest brand...