Thread: NYW Blanket Chest Complete

NYW Blanket Chest Complete

Hello everyone!

I've been away from SMC for a while. (Starting your own company takes time away from the fun stuff)

I finished my blanket chest and wanted to share the final pic with everyone. I made a few adjustments like adding turned feet, T&G inserts and a shop made molding to the skirt. I used a Onyx stain and 3 coats of poly to match our black nightstands.
    Far from perfect, but the joints are tight and the wife is happy

Have a good one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice job. I'm about to start a similar project. How'd you like the onyx stain? What kind of joints did you use?

Looking really good. I wasn't sure about the black, but looking at the larger picture it actually really accents the piece. Nice work!

Nice job Eric. I am also curious about the stain and the type of wood used. Looks very nice.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Hey Eric. Great looking chest! Where in Concord are you? I work in Concord, but live in S. Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    nice job. I'm about to start a similar project. How'd you like the onyx stain? What kind of joints did you use?
    Thanks everyone!
    I used select pine with the T&G joints called for on the original. The joints are tight thanks to a good blade and the Incra gauge. My (store bought) nightstands are painted black so I wanted to get close in color, but hated to to use paint. Then I remembered a project that I did with my son; trying to duplicate shelves from a Pottery Barn magazine (pic attached). I wanted to get a dark color to infuse into his room, but also wanted to see the grain of the wood.
    Knowing how pine can take stain, I used wood conditioner first and then just kept applying coats until I achieved the desired color. The first pass with the Onyx produced a Grey looking color, but overall it was easy to work with as far as adjusting the darkness coat by coat. (The picture is a close up of the shelf; you can still see grain)

Shawn / John... Not sure if I answered your question or not… with regard to the stain that is.

E-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 10-12-2009 at 5:15 PM.

I was curious because the pigment stains can block the grain.

I just refinished some handplane knobs and totes using (don't laugh) old liquid printer ink! I diluted it with ethanol, and put it in an old hairspray bottle with a pump actuator. It worked like a charm.

I also tried vinegar and steel wool. I thought it only worked on oak, but I splashed some by accident on some surrounding soft maple, hard maple, and even cherry, and it turned them all varying shades of grey/black.

There's a lot of ways to skin the ebonizing cat, it seems!