Thread: vice screw problem

vice screw problem

Today I was putting finishing touches on my roubo style work bench and after making and fitting the leg vice I went to install the vice screw. The vice screw purchased from woodcraft seemed fine out of the box, and the flange would thread smoothly through the screw.

However I got everything all installed and the screw has seemed to have caused damage to the threads in the flange on the first use. I was barely able to thread the screw out and now I can't get it to thread on past the first few threads without it binding up. I removed the screw and flange from the bench, so I know it isn't a problem with alignment etc... of the holes through the leg.

I spent about an hour going over the threads on the screw, and cast flange looking for any paint or burrs that might causing problems, nothing fixed it. I guess I am going to call woodcraft to see about sending the screw back.

My concern is that I might have the same problem occur if I replaced the screw with another.

I am kind of disappointed in the quality of this screw, which wasn't cheap either in that It didn't survive the first use.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 10-12-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Best return it. I wonder if a loose chip in the flange got left inside it. That can really jam things up. Had that problem with a BRAND NEW Powermatic planer I advised Williamsburg NOT to buy-made in USA,too. They had to send a tech out to replace the jammed screw,which carelessly had had a chip left in the nut.

George, some years ago a friend of mine couldn't get his new Powermatic planer to cut true; after a few passes the wood ended up tapered from one edge to the other, like a siding board. He carefully adjusted the blades precisely parallel the the beds (twice), but each time he got the same results. He finally got down and carefully examined the raising screws on either side of the bed and realized that they had different pitches, so even starting out level, after a few turns one side of the bed had been raised a bit more than the other.

Astonishing.

Frank,I have never liked Powermatic machines,not even the ones that were around when I was in high school. we had to send a brand new PM table saw back when I was in college. The blade went down in big jerks with a CLUNK,CLUNK,CLUNK,noise. It hadn't even been turned on yet. This was back in 1959.

vise screw problem reply

Hi Mr. Schwartz

I would like to help with your bench screw problem. Please call 800-535-4486 I will be here at Woodcraft's Tech Line 8:00am to 5:00pm eastern time just ask for Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Poling View Post
    Hi Mr. Schwartz

I would like to help with your bench screw problem. Please call 800-535-4486 I will be here at Woodcraft's Tech Line 8:00am to 5:00pm eastern time just ask for Bob.
    Thanks for posting, I have been in touch with customer service about a replacement via email, but I might call tomorrow. I think the screw I got might have just been bad and the intent of my post was to see if anybody else might have had similar problems or if I was missing something obvious which sometimes happens.

I have always had good support from woodcraft.