Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT (a bit) for people who watch NCIS

Eric, I've got this bridge for sale --------

it happend to me. not in my shop but the installation in an apartment in the city. three floor to ceiling bookcases. couldnt make the turn from the service elevator so i cut them in half right there .

as to the boat.....its not a real boat and its not a real basement BUT...anything is possible.....people walked on the moon. you're talking about moving a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Westerman View Post
    Do any of you have any idea how Gibbs gets his boats out of the basement? I am pretty darn curious.

Eric
    Greensboro NC
    Woodworkers Store
    He is actually working on his 4th boat. Each one for each represents a marriage and the destruction or deconstruction of the boat(s) represents a divorce in his life. The first boat was "finished twice" according to Gibbs in the show. He finished the first boat about the same time of his first divorce- then finished it again. The third boat was named after his 3rd wife "Diane" and instead of selling the boat or changing its name he set it on fire and destroyed it because he said in the show "I could not stand the thought of anyone else sailing Diane". One of his co-workers ask him one time how did you get the boat out of here, there was never a direct answer

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    I had a friend that built an airplane in his basement
    when he was done they dugout the the foundation on the gable side removed the foundation wall

He still says it was cheaper than renting a shop for 10 years, plus he has a walkout basement now...
    When my dad was a kid they built a boat in the basement and did the same thing to get it out
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

In this past week's episode, one of his boats was found floating with a couple of dead bodies in it.

Abby is quite puzzled about how he got the boat out, and how she was going to do the forensic work on it without tearing up the boat. Gibbs gave her some advice that helped her with the investigation... <vbg>
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I was just going to say that. This particular boat's name was Kelly. Was that the first wife's name, or the daughter's name? Wife I think. So they weren't built in chronological order. Maybe descending order? I agree with the thought that they weren't removed from the basement, just destroyed and starts the next one. The one we know made it out was for his God Daughter. He made no hesitation for Abby to destroy it.
    My favorite show by the way. I have watched 4 or 5 reruns even this week. Just finished one, and had to take a break from the next one. And here I am talking about NCIS!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

OK, if you caught the show this week, you saw the completed boat. He gave the last on to his friend Mike Franks.....Mike put a couple of bodies in it and sent it back....sort of. they cut it up after that. It was a cool boat.

Blog Entries
    Towards the end of the episode Abby was cutting the boat into sections with a chainsaw and still trying to figure out how he got it out.

Maybe they monitor SMC and thought it would be a good idea to put this subplot in the show.

I'm just happy Hollywood is showing a woodworker in a positive light. For Gibbs it's the respect for the tools, technique and wood that is important not so much the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giles View Post
    I'm just happy Hollywood is showing a woodworker in a positive light. For Gibbs it's the respect for the tools, technique and wood that is important not so much the finished product.
    Funny you say that. My friend was commenting on the similarity between my passion for woodworking and that of the "bad guy" in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds (2000). No, us woodworkers are not pending entrance to the looney bin.

Its Hollywood. They will write it out of the basement. On a couple of shows, more recent ones, we see the basement and its empty. Then we will see some shows that it is back.

The current boat

is called the minnow3 and will sail to Gilligans Island in the final episode.

I have experienced a little of the "smoke and Mirrors" that was mentioned. I work at Buckley AFB, formerly ANG base. Years ago now a made for tv movie called Asteroid was partly filmed there. The stuff they made for this movie was hilarious. I seen ti first hand. The weapon they build from furnace parts to load on one of our f-16's was funny looking at best but I got to hand it to them when it was on the screen it actually didn't look half bad. The movie was aweful by the way but it is fun for me to see becaus esome of m friends are extras in it and I know where to watch for the discrepencies in the movie.

Sorry if this kindof diverts the thread.
    Last edited by Christopher Pine; 12-20-2009 at 9:48 AM.
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

wish I had his basement maybe in a year or 2 I;ll have a shop agin

hs
    wants ncis dvds for my crimbo socks
    You name it , I'll butcher it

i have a friend who actually started building a plane in his bedroom, then moved it to the basement, then moved it to the garage
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Last week he was building wooden Christmas gifts for needy kids. Gibbs father was in the show, and helped finish and deliver the gifts. Nice sub story. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.