Thread: Christmas gift ideas

Christmas gift ideas

Figured this year I wouldn't wait until the week before Christmas to get some gifts ready(I still will)

Wondering if anyone had any quick, nice woodworking gift ideas to give out. I like to make a batch of small gifts to give to some neighbors, friends, etc.. I have given boxes and such in the past but figure something else would be nice. I am not a turner so that is out.

I am having a hard time coming up with something that is small enough, but nice without being a huge project.

I am sure this thread could help a lot of us. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

matt

Desk clocks are almost always well accepted and fun to make as are desk accessories. I'm making some desk clocks as we speak, er type. I have also made some nice letter openers for folks. Cutting boards are also usually received well. People usually appreciate any handmade gift. You can't go wrong.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I you have a Lathe these are easy and fun to make and they will use them almost everyday!
    Jim

I made some candleholders out of salvaged 4X4 old growth doug fir. I didn't try to cut out the old nail holes and they added to its aged look. I got the idea from a friend who had made some from a sample he had seen for sale in Arizona. Taper the sides a little so it is wider at the top, drill holes with a forstner to hold tealight candles or a little bigger to hold some type of candle holder. I made mine big enough to hold glass holders that look like a large, thick shot glass. A light stain and satin poly finish gave it an aged look that set off the nail holes. I made several. They were quick and made a good table centerpiece for the holidays.

Mine were about 24" long but my friend made one out of a 6X6 beam that was about 5' long. It looked great as a centerpiece on a long table in his Arts and Crafts style house.

Wish I did have a lathe, lot of quick gift ideas then. Really like your pens, hope to some day get into it.

For now I like the clock idea mentioned above, I think that may be the way to go.. Now I just need to get some ideas on one to make.

Thanks

matt

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    One simple project that makes a nice gift is a cookbook rack that will hold probably up to a dozen or so cookbooks. It has a sliding stop that adjusts to butt up against the line of books. You may have seen the project in one of the woodworking mags awhile back. I think they also put an applied wheat design on the ends, but you could use something different, or leave it blank.

Boxes are popular. And you could use my friend Joanne's great idea..."square bowls".