Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right decision on planer buy? Rigid R4330

Right decision on planer buy? Rigid R4330

Well, I found myself at Home Depot with $300 in gift cards. I was ready to spring for the Dewalt planer model 735, but they did not have it and no longer carry it in my area. Then I started to think I would be just fine with a less expensive planer (and would put the money saved toward a band saw). They had the Dewalt 734 and the Rigid R4330, both for $399. I have read enough good reviews of both planers here and other places. I ended up with the Rigid. Not having internet access with me, I was swayed by the box detailing self indexing blades for easy blade changing. I know the 735 has easy to change/adjust blades, but I was not sure of the 734.

So, did I make the right choice? With the gift cards it is essentially a $100 planer for me, but the box has yet to be opened.

Hey Dan.
    I bought one last yr and am quite satisfied so far. I used mine to plane rough poplar and maple for trimming out my house. It's not one I'll keep forever but will do untill I can afford a better unit.

charly

I have had one from day one when they came out with it.

I have been very happy with it, it is loud but it does a very good job if you don't try and take off to much at a time.

The only problem I had was the head would drop by itself just setting there running. Ridgid there was something wrong (NS) and to take it to the service center.
    I started to look into it and found the problem, it was the idle gear on the chain in the bottom was just loose, easy fix.

Thanks for the tip Bill!

Don - I haven't used a DW734, but it gets favorable reports. I've had an R4330 since spring but have only used it sparingly so far. The R4330 replaced my Delta 22-580, and it's done a good job...I was tired of the 22-580's DC port dragging on the lumber and tired of needing to clean the feed rollers every 13 feet of use. The R4330 has been fine, but it's not clearly better than the 22-580 in every way. The 22-580 had a mechanical cutterhead lock that was manually engaged, and it worked well. The R4330 has a 4-post screw system that's supposed to prevent movement of the cutterhead...it works pretty well most of the time but large deviations in the thickness cause it to move. The R4330 also seems more prone to bogging down than the 22-580 did. Both have 15 amp motors but the Delta's motor (or gearing) left the impression of more oomph. I do like the DC system better on the Ridgid, and when the knives were new it seemed to have a smoother surface than the Delta running on slow speed with new knives.

At this point if the choice were mine, I'd be leaning toward the DW734 just out of curiosity and the knowledge that the R4330 is good, but not stellar.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've had the new Ridgid model for a few years now... I like it a lot, but there's one exception... the replacement knives.

None of the local HD stores around me (and there are a ton of them) stock the replacement knives for the R4330.

I eventually had to work with the contractor desk to have them place a special order for them, which was surprisingly difficult (they couldnt find the right part #, etc). Incidentally, I could have simply ordered them on the online HD site, but then I'd have to pay a lot more for shipping (something I wasn't willing to do for a replacement part I think they should stock locally). So if you're HD sells the knives... I'd say go for it!

Oh, if you do keep it... and you use 4" dust collection, you absolutely want to remove the inner adaptor on the dust port which would allow you to connect a 2 1/2" wet/dry vac hose to it. That adaptor constricts the airflow somewhat and without it I get much better dust collection... you simply pull it out to remove it. (I don't think that's in the manual).

HTH
    Andy

Dan,

I've had the R4330 for a few months now and am pretty happy with it. I am currently in the middle of my first major project using it...new kitchen cabinets for a family member. They're being done in hickory and are turning out nicely.

Now that i've used it a bunch to mill the rough sawn hickory, I have one beef - the blades just don't stay sharp for too long. I'm certain this is mostly related to how hard the hickory is, but I'v been through a set (both sides) already.

That being said, the replacements are relatively cheap given that they are reversable. About $30 per set from the HD website. I bought two sets to get above their threshold for free shipping.

Good luck!

Oh, and blade replacement was exceptionally easy!

Another tip - I would invest $20 in a HF digital calipers. While the scale on the planer was tunned pretty closely at the factory, it was still off by a hair. Also, while the positive stop mechanism produces very close repeatable thicknesses, it's by no means exact. I have used my digital calipers constantly while planing that hickory to acheive exact (or damned near) 3/4" stock.

It seems that a lot of guys buy the digital Whixley(sp?) gauge to set up on their planers. I just couldn't justify the cost where a $20 HF gadgit would do.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't stress it. The Ridgid gets good reviews from owners here. Just for the sake of information; I have the DW734 and am very happy with it. The three blades are self indexing, double sided and long lasting. I am on the second side of my first set and I have been running it for a very long time. It is due for a new set real sson though. Takes about 5 minutes to swap knives. Fortunately, I picked up a few sets of knives at an outlet store for a good price ;-) I think you will like your planer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I ran thousands of feet through the DW733, the original Dewalt model that has two knives. It performed wonderfully. The DW734 replaced the DW733 and the DW734 has 3 knives, an improvement over the DW733. I recently sold the DW733 and bought the Grizzly GO453Z 15" planer with the spiral cutterhead. While the DW733 did a good job and labored tirelessly, the difference with the GO453Z is huge as you might imagine.

I say all this to say that I speak very highly of the Dewalt portable planers from long experience with the DW733.

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago trying to decide between the Ridgid planer from HD or the Delta TP-305 at Lowes and decided to get the Delta because of cost. The Delta was on sale at Lowes for $205 but I was able to get it for $160. Not sure when I will use it though since I always work with finished wood.

You should be very happy with the R4330. I bought it when they were first available in my area and have run about 1500 feet of oak through it with no problems.
    Others complain about snipe but, after setting the tables level to each other and the main table, I have no snipe at all. I usually only take 3/32" at a time which probably helps with the snipe issue and leaves me with a very fine finish.
    Good luck and enjoy!

I came down to the same two planers. I bought the Dewalt DW734 today on the advice of the sales associate at HD. It is still in the box, so time will tell if I made the right choice. I've had good luck with both Dewalt and Ridgid tools, so I don't think I could have made a bad choice either way. The final factor was HD matching the internet best price of $369...$30 less than the Ridgid. Naturally, tax ate up most of that savings, but I would have had to pay that anyway.

I got the R4330 several years ago in the spring (something like $50 discount on ridgid tools in that price range)
    Pros:
    - good quality surface
    - easy knife changes

Cons:
    - still getting some snipe; believe due to head flex (can do all the board support I want, but that doesn't help; I work around it by either accounting for the snipe and cutting it off later, or by butting boards end-to-end)

The knives are reversible, and I knicked mine pretty quickly with a hard knot or two. I haven't ordered new knives yet, and do final smoothing with hand planes or sanding. The knife changing is much easier than on my older jointer where the blades are not indexed.

The R4330 doesn't have amazing chip ejection by itself -- I found that I was getting a fair bit of stuff staying in the planer with the small DC that I originally had hooked up to it. It is better with my a 1.5hp DC attached. I've heard good things about the chip ejection with the DW735.

Oh, do not try and run your planer without the dust shroud attached. There is an interlock that will make a nasty sound if you do.

The planer is noisy, so you will want ear protection.

Matt

Just to echo the other posters. I had one for a couple years. It was my first planer, and did a very good job for what I paid for it. At the time, it was $399 in store, $369 online. I had HD price match themselves.

Pros:

Did what it said on the tin.
    Ind-i-cut feature. Shows how much you're about to take off. Great feature.

Cons.

Snipe
    Noise
    Flexible stamped metal in/outfeeds.

I had mine for two years, recently changed it up for a Powermatic 15S, used. No snipe, considerably less noise, cast iron tables. A lot more expensive.