Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End Table ... That Thumps.

End Table ... That Thumps.

I got tired of staring at the black box that was my subwoofer in my living room. So I decided to upgrade it's enclosure. Its all solid cherry with a sealed baltic birch plywood box inside it. I put a false front on it to make it look like it has a drawer ... but it doesn't. It sounds great. What do you think?

If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

That's sweet! You might just be on to a small business idea!

What sub is that and what is it tuned to?

That is an incredible idea. Oh No...More shop time!!! BRB!
    Dan Manning

I am not sure if your phone will stay on there when it is going good. Nice idea.

Great job, and an excellent idea!!

Don't think you will have any trouble with anyone trying to open the drawer - I would be afraid to touch a table with wires going to it!!

Blog Entries
    That is one of the coolest things I have seen for quite awhile.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    What sub is that and what is it tuned to?
    Its a dayton 10" titanic sub, with a bash 300 watt amp. I have no idea what it is tuned to; I did a little research to find out what volume box to use for my equipment and after 5 minutes of doing so my brain exploded. So I just guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by GERALD HARGROVE View Post
    I am not sure if your phone will stay on there when it is going good. Nice idea.
    I wondered the same thing ... so I tried it full blast. It stayed right there. I attribute it to the rubber pads I put on the bottom of the legs (which you cant see due to the carpet), and the fact that it weighs 50 lbs. (I weighed it out of curiosity). The phone used to bounce around on my old sub enclosure all the time. I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't on this one.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

what a cool idea!!! I might copy that.

Calculating the volume of a subwoofer enclosure is actually really simple. There are sites that ask you for a few inputs and spit out the volume. I'd look for it for you, but I think it's a little late in the game at this point!

Very cool. I wonder if the manufactures will ever catch on to something like this.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is incredible and my wife would love that. She likes the good sounds from a system but does not want to see the speakers or the wires. Now, if I could come up with something for the rear speakers and to be able to hide the wires.

Excellent idea Mark!

I'm sure there is a bunch of Creekers, who haven't chime in, that are planning their "thump end tables"
    Furniture with a definite purpose.
    Great job again. Not only for the idea but for putting it into practice.

My question was dumb a sealed sub isn't really tuned anyways.

The sub looks great and I've heard good things about the dayton 10". If anyone else is interested in planning a sub, look for software called WinISD it is very handy for planning sub sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That is incredible and my wife would love that. She likes the good sounds from a system but does not want to see the speakers or the wires. Now, if I could come up with something for the rear speakers and to be able to hide the wires.
    How about these? I built these a few months ago. The base is granite and the post is made of 4 cherry pieces mitered together so the center is hollow. The speaker wire goes up the middle so you cant see it.

Another nice idea for a sound system Mark.

Quick question.
    Did you ever think of enclosing those rear speakers also?
    Just a thought.