Thread: Cedar Closet (pics)

Cedar Closet (pics)

I re-did my parents closet recently, and installed a cedar lining, steel closet rods, and milled some custom trim, and solid shelf from cedar. The project presented some challenges, the house is over a hundred years old and the closet built somewhat recently varied upwards of 1/2" of an inch out of square/level.

Overall a fun project and I like how it turned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nicely done. I feel your pain, going through the same issues with my own house.

Time to get the plans out for a sauna? Understand all too well about the level/square bit in old houses. Closet looks real good. Cedar has awsome properties.
    Dan Manning

Blog Entries
    Where did you get the cedar? I bought some at the borg for a cedar lining in a blanket chest and there is no way I would try to line a closet with that crooked stuff. Your closet really looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Where did you get the cedar? I bought some at the borg for a cedar lining in a blanket chest and there is no way I would try to line a closet with that crooked stuff. Your closet really looks nice.
    The paneling was 1/4" tongue and grove from the borg. The stuff I bought can be found in the section with closet systems/rods etc... and comes in 20 (I think) square foot boxes with 4' and random lengths. Of the 11 boxes I only really had to reject about 1/2 a box.

I had to mail order stainless steel 18g brad nails for my pneumatic brad gun.

I milled the cove moulding, and baseboard and stock for the shelf from some 5/4 aromatic cedar I bought at a local hardwood dealer.

Looks awesome! I hate to hijack, especially me being new and all but I have to ask as I have done a search and came up dry on a definition. What the heck is "the BORG"?
    ~Aaron "I Don't Get It" Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hall View Post
    Looks awesome! I hate to hijack, especially me being new and all but I have to ask as I have done a search and came up dry on a definition. What the heck is "the BORG"?
    Aaron, the answer can vary slightly, but typically it means Big Orange Retail Giant. (I've also heard 'Big Ol' Retail Giant', but the former is what I knew first.)

Think...aitch dee.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Ah, got it. Thanks

Nibe job Michael. I'm not so sure 1/2" off square in an old home is much of an improvement from a vast number of new homes I have seen and often they are priced at $500,000 up. I had an uncle that passed in the late 50's that built homes with two 1' x 4' wooden tool totes. From what I have seen of his work still around and probably will be.. 1/2" off wouldn't be en-counterd often so.. perhaps off might be attributed to pride or no pride.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler