Thread: jewelry box

jewelry box

Here is a jewelery box I made to sale. One problem is I cant part with it. Seams to be the hard part is letting go of the things I make. Its 10x7x3 approx. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shaun gardner View Post
    Here is a jewelery box I made to sale. One problem is I cant part with it. Seams to be the hard part is letting go of the things I make. Its 10x7x3 approx. What do you think?
    I don't blame you...that is one BEAUTIFUL jewelry box

Absolutely stunning figure in that wood - is that mahogany, sapelle?

Nice work, and I second the notion of keeping it. However, price it at the point where you would rather have the money - if it sells fine, if not - fine. If someone questions the price, simply tell them what you have indicated - you hate to part with it, but will for the right price.

Every time I have a hard time parting with a piece I made, I always tell myself that I can make another one, even nicer. I never do, but it helps to tell myslef that anyway...

Awesome box, very nice to see. Can you tell us more about the wood and finish?

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Great looking jewelry box Shaun. If you keep it, it could be expensive to fill with jewelry...

Sam

Very nice look and extremely nice figure in the top. As far as selling it.. unless I made it for someone personally... why not? If you can build one, you can build two but the second one is paid for by the first and you gain confidence with each and every next project.

Good work and good luck with your decision...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks for the positive comments. Sorry so slow on replies.

As for the wood, Ambrosia maple carcass with a book matched venner figured sapelle lid. Dividers are goncalo alves. I used a satin gel wiping varnish on the body. I used seal a cell for the lid to bring out figure and then lightly buffed with beal buffing system. Just enough to give it some depth and clarity. I wasnt going for a gloss finish. Hand buffed some antique wax in it for a pleasing smell. The felt i picked up at woodcraft and has a sticky back to it. Maybe I will price it high and that way the $$ will make it worth the seperation anexity.