Thread: Is it a mistake

Is it a mistake

Am I buying the wrong digital camera ? I am about to make the call to purchace a Sony DSC-S85. I want a low light lens, Macro, choice to swith off most devices, Aperture or Shutter priority switching. Anyone have any advise or bad stories on this camera ?
    Last edited by Bobby Hatfield; 03-25-2003 at 9:15 PM.

Bobby,
    I'm a Canon guy... but the review on Sony DSC-S85 Review says it's good. You should also know that this model is also a little old in the world of digicams. You may want to check out the whole site to see what's up.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks Glenn

I guess I am just looking for someone who has this camera. I don't mind if its old, the price is just now in my range and I am a 36 model myself. The new Nikon 5700 is my pick if I had $1200 but I'm saving that for woodworking tools like a drum and edge sander. Its hard for an old SLR guy to switch.

Blog Entries
    my cousin has the dsc-s75. great camera. i as well will be looking at the "85". but i can borrow fer now .....jack

SONY DSC S85

The specs look OK to me. There is a review here:
    <center>Sony DSC S85 Review
    Sample pictures are here: Sample Pictures</center>

This camera was MSRP $799 and can be found at Techbargains.com for $428. It has the good battery and Carl Ziess lens, same as my DSC 707. You should not ever need an extra battery.

I like the 717 because of the rotating lens but it's several $100 more. I think the DSC S85 at @ $450 is a great choice.

You will need extra memory. 128MB memory sticks sell for about $50 and will take a lot of large format pictures. I would wait until the 256Mb sticks come out in April. If you can get a 256 that's all you will ever need. The camera probably ships with a single 16Mb stick.

You will also need to get up to speed with a good editing program but I will help you with that. I use ULEAD Photo Impact. ADOBE Photoshop is the premier software but, IMHO, it's harder to master and much more expensive.

You will love Digital Photography..... I do.
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond