Thread: Modifying a PM Model 73

Modifying a PM Model 73

I am still quite new to SMC, but a few searches have not turned up any old threads on this topic...so I ask for the collective knowledge.

I bought an older, if fairly clean and quiet, PM Model 73 dust collector. With 1.5HP and a originally rated at 900 cfm, I think it will do the trick for two-bay garage shop. After digging through the owners manual I found the spec for the filter bag...30 micron. Compared to current and similar units this seems very porous. I am interested in fitting it with either a finer bag or canister type filter, but can find no info on making this mod or what it will do to air/chip handing. PM customer service offered nothing except to sell me a new bag (same old spec). Any have experience with this unit or refining its filter effectiveness??

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

I have a PM 73 dust collector that I purchased `1991 when it first hit the market for small "hobbyist" shops. It has served me well in my 3 car garrag.........SHOP for all these years. In 2008 I upgraded it with a Jet 14" dia. pleated upper cannister filter and clear plastic lower dust collection bags. It has worked very well.

I'm no expert and have been reading a lot about Bill Pentz and commercially available Cyclone sysems, but have no regrets for where I started with this system.

I'd post a pic, but am currently installing an epoxy floor and am out of commission in the shop for a few weeks!

Regards
    Dick Mahany.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I also have a PM-73 and felt I wanted cleaner air than the 30 micron bag was giving me. Unfortunately I tried to go the 1 micron bag route (rather than canister filter which might have worked). The results are a dust collector so under powered that it collects nothing anymore, it just cannot push enough air through the new bag. I shake the bag frequently to try to loosen the dust from the inside surface, but it does not help. Bottom line I bought a cyclone and the PM-73 will be on Craig's list soon.

James