Thread: Need some advice

1. Question Need some advice

I have been reading a number of different posts on this forum very informative. I am at a crossroads, would like to purchase a laser engraver. Am looking at an Accuris laser engraver which is at the top of my financial capabilities. Or a Chinese import Artsign JSM6540H. I understand the basic difference is the type of laser, the Chinese unit uses a water cooled laser which is older technology and the Taiwanese import uses an air cooled laser.

I am in the license plate manufacturing business and need to be able to cut mirrored acrylic to put together different designs. That is the primary purpose of purchasing the laser any other uses would come secondary. Any input would be appreciated. TIA

Check out CheckMateLasers - a combination of Chinese laser (cheap price) and American service (local and reliable) from the looks of it. Owned (?) by Louie Alvarez, well known for his laser expertise. That's all I know about it, but seems worth a try for your situation.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Well, you didn't say where you're from. Watercooled lasers can have problems in humid environments; with water condensing and then attaching itself to mirrors etc.

So if you live somewhere humid, go for aircooled. End of choice.

Cutting mirrored acrylic- the next question would be about power. More power = faster and deeper cuts. If there is a significant power difference between your choices; more power will enable you to cut (slightly) thicker acrylic. More importantly, you can do the same job in less time.

4. thank you Dee, took a look at their site, the engravers are very similar to the ones I am looking at from China.
    ArtSign JSM6540H

Roland CAMM-1

Epson 9600

Roland Metaza 60

There's always a way to achieve your dreams, some are just a little harder than others.

5. I live in northern Alabama, the American supplied unit is 40W, the Chinese unit is 60W
    ArtSign JSM6540H

Roland CAMM-1

Epson 9600

Roland Metaza 60

There's always a way to achieve your dreams, some are just a little harder than others.

I don't know (or want to know) your budget, but there are some excellent deals on used lasers right now. Last week, there were 2 lasers on this forum in the classified section. You might find you can get a US made brand for the same or less money than what you are looking to spend now.

It's worth looking in the classified as well as contacting the few dealers that specialize in used lasers.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I agree with Steve. A US brand used laser is a better buy for ease of use, timely service and software compatibility. The Checkmate Lasers and other Chinese lasers use NewlyDraw. Unless you read Chinese, you might have a problem using it easily. I had a Chinese laser and sold it as soon as I unpacked it- it seemed to be a real Rube Goldberg contraption compared to the ancient Epilog I was replacing. You have to be pretty mechanical to even set it up, which I am not. I just thought I'd mention CheckMate in case you really wanted the Chinese laser, but I wouldn't endorse it myself.

But you should check with other Creekers who like theirs for the other side of the story!

Almost every dealer will have demos or refurb lasers from time to time and those prices are excellent. The SMC classified ads have a few which are really good deals.

Keep researching and good luck!

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong