Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Industrial Blade Company replacement blades from Pinnacle

Where can I purchase O-1 plane blades made for Lie-Nielsen planes? IBC does not seem to have any kind of on-line catalog. Lie-Nielsen dropped O-1 plane blades from their line.

Mike, try Tools for Working Wood. They carry Ray Iles plane irons and are very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Where can I purchase O-1 plane blades made for Lie-Nielsen planes? IBC does not seem to have any kind of on-line catalog. Lie-Nielsen dropped O-1 plane blades from their line.
    Clifton make O1 blades that are the same thickness as LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    A Hock O1 blade can be made to work- I have one in my #4 and it was a substantial improvement over the stock A2 iron in my opinion. The Hock is currently my favorite western blade.

I retained the LN chipbreaker, but it needs a little modification. The Hock blade is slightly thinner than the LN iron, so the depth adjuster tab, which is tapered, will not fit far enough into the chipbreaker slot and the blade/chipbreaker assembly cannot seat properly on the frog. The solution is to file the chipbreaker slot slightly wider until it can seat.

You can go back to the LN blade, but unless you replace the chipbreaker, the wider slot will cause a substantial amount of backlash in the adjustment. If you replace the chipbreaker it will be good as new.

Thanks for the info, but that modification would be a no-go for me. I think that some O-1 blades have been made for Lie-Nielsen planes by Pinnacle, which is a brand of IBC. I see links for them in A-2, but not O-1.

Because this thread is 8 years old, much of the information is now incorrect. For example, Lie-Nielsen no longer offers any options for blade steel and hasn't for a couple of years. It is confusing when the posts are inserted into the out-of-date context.

A very long time before "Cryo" treatment came along,Swiss watch makers used to leave watch parts in caves high in the Alps for some time. It got very cold there, but leaving the parts for much longer periods of time must have made up for some of the difference in the temperatures. ( That is purely a guess on my part.)

So, apparently a long time ago, leaving parts at very low temperatures was apparently thought of as beneficial to increasing the working life of those parts.

Blog Entries
    In a recent visit to another woodworker's shop his planes were having a few problems. One of the cures was to remove the IBC blades and go back to a thinner blade.

The IBC blades were much thicker requiring a bit of filing on the mouth. Another problem was the chip breaker couldn't be set close to the edge to control tear out without getting beyond the ability of the Bailey adjuster to work properly.

He has since switched to Hock blades and has had much better results.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)