Thread: Quick question about akeda dovetail jigs

Quick question about akeda dovetail jigs

Does the 16 inch jig do anything the 24 inch does not? My impression is "no" but I want to make sure. I don't really need 24 inches of dovetail jig, but unless there is an advantage to the 16 Ill just get the bigger one.

Only wide capacity 16" vs 24" and different amount of guides for it - 10 vs 15.
    I do have 24" jig and I like simplicity of setup and usage of this jig.
    Ed.

I would get the 24" as you will invariably need one down the road. The akeda is a dream to use.
    Last edited by roman fedyk; 10-16-2009 at 7:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roman fedyk View Post
    I would get the 24" as you w invariably need one down the road. The akeda is a dream to use.
    As Roman said, "The Akeda is a dream to use"

I too would suggest the 24".

I use the width to work off of both sides. One for pins and one for tails if the project is not over 12" wide.

Jim

That's an excellent idea. Can't do that on the Leigh or PC because it is almost impossible to match both ends exactly. I have tried that on my Leigh and did not work, but on the Akeda it's a piece of cake. In fact I remember reading somewhere that you can do half blinds that way, one set on the left and the other on the right.

Akeda Dovetail Jig

I've been looking at the Akeda BC24 and like the simplicity, but versatility of it. I have the 24" Omnijig, but it's finicky and time consuming to set up for a couple of DTs. It can take me a half dozen test cuts to get it dialed in for a cut. It's okay for a run of single pass HB dovetails, but IMO, that's about all. I'm looking to get rid of it and replace it with the Akeda BC24.
    I've probably read all the reviews on the Akeda jigs and can't wait to get my hands on one. (Akeda.com has links to some great test reviews by professional woodworkers) I definitely would go for the 24" for the added capacity. And the fact that if your stock is less than 12" wide you can set up repeatable cuts on both ends of the jig. Great for HBD (makes it nearly a single pass operation, but with the ability to do variable spacing) as well as other 'production' cuts. For drawers, I rarely do any taller than 12", so this is a great feature of this jig.
    From everything I've read, it's a great jig, well designed and built.

As an Akeda user, I can attest to the fact that these are very well made and have an ingenious design. Simple to operate. The cool thing is if you don't use the jig for a month or so, you don't need a refresher course in how to use it. Being a hobbyist, that happens a lot.