Thread: Michaels Craft Store

Michaels Craft Store

Went in there to buy a couple sheets of 1/8 inch ply for some electric motor mounts.

I stumbled into a wall of laser cut ornaments for Halloween and Christmas. They were generic but all in all nice. I think the idea was you can color or paint them. But they were selling for a BUCK !

I can't figure out how they do it for that price !

Problem with it really is people see this stuff for a buck and then when you set up and try to charge 5-10 bucks they are like, "but at Michael's they sell it for a dollar." Even though ours are WAY cooler !
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Yea, I saw those last week, also. Some were laser cut but most in our store were die cut. Good for ideas for freebies to our families, I guess.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    Problem with it really is people see this stuff for a buck and then when you set up and try to charge 5-10 bucks they are like, "but at Michael's they sell it for a dollar." Even though ours are WAY cooler !
    And that is exactly how you deal with the situation. You quickly point out that while they can certainly purchase an ornament at Michaels for $1, what they're purchasing for that $1 is a very generic item that lacks detail and is owned by everyone who shops the same aisle. When they purchase one of yours, they're buying a highly detailed, hand-crafted , made-in-the-USA item.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan is right, plus I use genuine Corinthian Plywood!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Same thing in Cracker Barrel. It's a 1/4" thick piece of a small tree limb, cut diagonal with the bark still on. Has cut outs of deer on them. .99 cents.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Actually a buck isn't bad at all. I could probably make a couple hundred an hour, even if I sold em for 60 cents wholesale, it would be a pretty good product. Finding the customers for that kitsch is the problem.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

David,

I'd sure like the trick you would use to do 'a couple hundred an hour' on your 35W. My 45W ran some the other day (just like Michaels) and took 2-3 minutes each. Sure wish I could do them faster.

Jeff

Hey Jeff

The trick is get a part time gig in a shop with a higher powered machine!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC