Thread: How do I save this table

How do I save this table

I'm making a picnic table for a co-worker. I had it covered with a tarp (that I now know had a hole in it) so it wouldn't get wet while I was waiting for a clear day to finish it. I've sanded away at it to see if I can get rid of the black spots and streaks. No luck yet, it seems to go pretty deep. What should I do to save it? These pictures aren't the greatest. The sun I've been waiting for is now too bright for pictures. I can't win for losing. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say don't worry about it and just put some finish on it. It will have a nice rustic look to it, plus it's an outdoor table anyway. Might actually have more character by just leaving it the way it is.

I like the feature you added - black streaks to highlight the grain. Out of kindness, you do not necessarily have to charge extra for the added feature.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Kenneth, I would guess that the black streaks are mold/mildew from being covered with the tarp. They probably go pretty deep, but may also be able to be bleached out with some deck stripper - or, even oxalic acid.

That said, I agree that it is going to look a lot worse after a few months in the weather. It certainly doesn't look offensive to me, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Best course of action is to ask the co-worker his/her thoughts before making a final decision.

It's finished

I went ahead and left most of it, I think I will be ok with it. I sprayed a heavy coat of Olympic Maximum 5 year protection w/ cedar naturaltone tint. It covered most of the problem area. Still not sure the moisture in the wood won't cause problems later. I will give him a warranty. If it looks horrible later I will take it back for personel use and make him another one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it turned out quite nice Kenneth.

Nice touch on the ends.
    Adds a bit of class to the picnic table.
    I bet your co-worker is going to be very happy with it.

If your co-worker isn't happy with it send it to John K.
    He needs some out door furniture for his new back yard project ....

Thank you, I'm not good enough yet for the finer projects but I like to add a little touch to the simple things. It seems like a good way to practice the craft without destroying expensive wood or doing an injustice to a nice piece. After all when my joints don't fit exactly like they should, it's still a nice picnic table.

Please critique

I forgot my manners, I should have put in there that all critiques are welcome.

hey fine furniture or not its a heck of a table. from this to a dinning table the idea is the same. its like i tell my wife when she get upset about a mistake in the shop....with every screw up comes a lesson learned. aint nothing wrong with having a piece that you look at down the road and relize its not as good as it could be, its like a timeline of you trip as a woodworker. plus you havent lived till you screw up an expensive piece of wood.

bill

That is probably nicer than most picnic tables with the ends and the router work. Agree with others that the staining streaks won't matter as this is an outside thing. I doubt the reciever would balk and they should be very happy with the extra work you did on the ends of the top and seats as none are essential to the table functioning as what it is.. an outside picnic table.

Bring on the water-melon and B-B-Q and watch the additional stains get real interesting at that point. Character I tell you!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I agree, the table looks fine in the picture and it's going to get beat up outside anyways so I wouldn't stress over anything that's not "structural" or had to do with weather proofing.

BTW, how did you join the two end pieces to the bench boards? I would be afraid to try and pull something like that off, but it sure adds a nice touch.

After I put the tinted wood sealer on it, the streaking pretty much went away, or rather got covered up. I don't know if it was mixed poorly or if my spraying technique (or lack thereof) is wrong but it ended up much more orange than I would have liked. Maybe I put too much on since it was still tacky the next day. I went over it with tack clothe with just a touch of mineral spirits to take the stickiness off. Probably not the right way to do things.

The boards on the ends (bread boards?) were another chance to try out my new pocket hole jig. I didn't get any shots of the underside, but except where I bolted the cross braces to the legs, everything is connected with pocket hole screws. That saved me from laying a board flat to screw the table top and benches to, then standing one up next to it to secure the legs and crosses.