Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerosene heat

I think the issue with fumes is largely a matter of personal tolerance and preference.

I use a kerosene heater for the few weeks here in Mississippi that's cold enough to need heat. When I do use it, I actually enjoy the smell. My dad used a kerosene heater in his shop on cold days and the smell brings back memories of childhood.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It did put out a lot of moisture and more importantly a LOT of carbon monoxide (CO) – to the point that I had to disable my fire/CO detector before using it, it would set off the detector within seconds.
    Also keep in mind that ANY non-vented, combustion based heater consumes oxygen and creates CO.
    Wow, glad you are still with us. That CO detector was going off for a reason ...there was lots of CO in the air and you can't breathe right with CO......Most folks think that the burner will go out before they do, but all evidence shows the flame will burn long after you are in the hereafter.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Wow, glad you are still with us. That CO detector was going off for a reason ...there was lots of CO in the air and you can't breathe right with CO......Most folks think that the burner will go out before they do, but all evidence shows the flame will burn long after you are in the hereafter.
    Me too! I usually ran it in short spurts and always kept a door open a little bit but to be honest, I never felt comfortable using it knowing how deadly CO is. I installed my Sterling 45K Btu gas heater for under $500. It’s the best spent $500 in the shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney