Thread: Much Needed Storage

Much Needed Storage

I added some much-needed storage to my shop this past week. 8' high, 8' long, and 24" wide. If they would have had 10' uprights I would have gone that route. I had a smaller shelving unit (in front in this picture, waiting to be re-purposed elsewhere) sitting here but couldn't find anything remotely sturdy to add on so I decided to just start over. It takes up some dead space in the shop without interfering with my TS work space. And it eliminates a lot of stuff that was sitting on my benches, the floor, and mobile carts. Purposely bigger than I need so I have room to put in-progress projects somewhere out of the way.

I used "Gorrilla Rack" components from Menards. They aren't exactly heavy duty pallet racking, but work well for this purpose. Its bolted to the floor which makes it very stable.

I think I'm going to bolt a piece of plywood to the end to give me some extra wall space to hang some stuff up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-17-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    How did you manage to do this while working on the kitchen project?
    Or did I miss a post that your finished with the kitchen?

I couldn't take the mess any more and took a couple evenings to get it done.

Looks good Matt.

I find myself spending lots of time revamping things or making stuff for the shop. During the day when I should be doing bean [income] making projects.

Yep, this is one idea I came up with while working out there. I also did a little rearranging while cleaning up and want to do a little more. Plus I've got a couple things I want to build, like a set of wall cabinets.

I spent half of yesterday rearranging one side of the shop. I got my trailer parking/loading area back.
    tn_Wall cleaned up 001.jpg

I've had this set of cabinets stacked over there for 9 months now. I finally got them moved. Course then I had to find places to put things that were in that spot.
    tn_Wall cleaned up 002.jpg

Hey Matt. See that small furniture dolly sitting on the bench? I picked that up at HF for $5.00 here while back.
    It's handy for moving cabinets around in the shop.
    Stands 5-1/4" tall, so it's just tall enough to slip under a cabinet that has 4" toekick clearance.

I've got 4 of the bigger ones that see a lot of use--everything from WW projects to holding tools awaiting restoration.

Yep. Sure handy in the shop.
    I have several different varieties around here somewhere.
    Usually hide under something.

It's nice to see that I am not the only one having conniption fits with what to do with the stuff that is taking over my shop...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...