Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is this chair made?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga
    Hi Pete,

Again, fire away with any questions you have.
    Hi Roger, Thanks for the help on this one. I would like to make a rocking chair using this technique. You can probably already imagine exactly what my chairs profile would look like. Pretty basic design, I would think. One of the problems I always have is time. It will take me a while to start and finish something like this. First thought that I have is, The total length of plywood for my chair. I doubt if a 8 by 4 foot piece of plywood would be long enough. The design would look something like... draw a line starting with the top of the back, bring the line down to about where the back of the seat is and curve it foward for the seat. Move it forward to make the seat and then curve the line down and shape it to be the curve of the rockers. Pretty simple if you were able to follow my description. Sorry I can't post a sketch, but if I can't get a photo on here who knows how I would manage a sketch. I would thnk that if stretched out the toatal length of the chair would be more than 8 feet. Maybe I could overlap the ends. Hmmm... Anyway I am just thinking out load. Thanks again and I will be in touch. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

follow up on rocking chair

responses to your email below. if you will send me your mailing address I will send you an article on making curved forms by laminated w/ a veneer press. It make take me a week or so to get around to this, but it will explain all that I know about the subject.

Roger

"First thought that I have is, The total length of plywood for my chair. I doubt if a 8 by 4 foot piece of plywood would be long enough."

You're correct, you'll end up splicing pieces together. Laying them end to end and edge glue them prior to assembly (simple 3M blue tape will serve as "clamps" while the glue dries). The purpose here is to keep the pieces in alignment while the chair is being glued up. I made my chair out of eight layers of 1/8 bending ply. You'll alternate grain to gain strength. For both top and bottom I used three layers of bubinga veneer, with the middle layer running against the grain. The result is suprisingly strong but still has a lot of spring in it.

"The design would look something like... draw a line starting with the top of the back, bring the line down to about where the back of the seat is and curve it foward for the seat. Move it forward to make the seat and then curve the line down and shape it to be the curve of the rockers. Pretty simple if you were able to follow my description. Sorry I can't post a sketch..."

I put your description into my furniture translator and here's what came out (image attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images

You got it Roger. I like your furniture translator. If you put wood in there, will a chair come out? Seriously now, that is what I had in mind. I would appreciate if you could send me any of the info that you have. What do you think? Is it doable? Is it a decent design idea? My email is petelamb@yahoo.com. Thanks Roger. Pete

Hey look! I finally got it to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Lamberty; 09-24-2004 at 12:03 AM. Reason: to add info
    Pete Lamberty

follow up

It is a very "doable" project. Again, making the form is the most timing consuming aspect of the project. The glue up is a bit of a pain so it would help to line up a second pair of hands. Strength is not as much of an issue as one might think -- a friend of mine actually made the backs of his dining chairs out of 32 sheets (alternating grain) of veneer (each chair back has a wave running through it, like a flag in the wind). You are essentially making your own plywood.

The article I mentioned is a chapter from the following: The Veneering Book, David Shath Square, 1995, ISBN 1-56158-093-7. You should be able to get it through your local library, or I can send you a copy of the chapter. After you read this, I guarantee you'll be ready to take on this project.

Cheers, Roger

Thanks for all of the info Roger. I will look for the book this weekend. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Pete,

This looks to be pretty cool...be sure to take lottsa pics!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, you have to be kidding about the pictures, right? If it wasn't for you no one here would have been able to see what the chair looked like. It took me forever to figure out that I didn't save it correctly. In about a year or two I will probably have it finished and then I will be asking for your help, again.

Roger, What program is your furniture translator?

Thanks again everyone. Pete
    Last edited by Pete Lamberty; 09-24-2004 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add more info
    Pete Lamberty