Thread: Craftsman saw

Craftsman saw

Over at sears I saw a "Craftaman Professional" saw model 152.221240. I don't know from Zip Code or Hybrid. Closed cabinet Beesmyer fence. 1.75 or 2.4 hp. Says $475 down from a grand. It was on the floor forever. Salesman said it was discontinued. Anyone know this saw and have any thoughts. I told him if they dropped price anymore to give me a call. I don't need it but I could use it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Over at sears I saw a "Craftaman Professional" saw model 152.221240. I don't know from Zip Code or Hybrid. Closed cabinet Beesmyer fence. 1.75 or 2.4 hp. Says $475 down from a grand. It was on the floor forever. Salesman said it was discontinued. Anyone know this saw and have any thoughts. I told him if they dropped price anymore to give me a call. I don't need it but I could use it. thanks
    'sounds like the top of the line Zip Code saw. At that price you are only paying for the fence. If I were interested, I'd take it at that price. The saw is made by Orin and consistently gets good reviews on the forums.

Burt

That saw gets great reviews. I would grab it now if you want it. It more than likely won't last that long at that price. Like Burt said, your buying the fence and getting the saw for free. Or you could save your money and go stright to a cabinet saw.

Blog Entries
    My ignorance is showing again. What is a Zip Code saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I think it was so popular that it had its own zip code.... I don't know I have wondered that myself, it must have something to do with the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    The saw was known by it's 5 digit model number, 22124. 5 digits like a zip code. At least that's how I understand it. I don't know who koined the name or where it originated.

Sears model numbers start with 3 digits on who the manufacturer is and the last 5 to 6 are the model of the tool.

Sears has multiple manufactures so you can tell who made who.

I think the "zipcode" moniker was coined over at Woodnet some years ago.

The 22124 is a great saw at $475....it was a nice saw at $850 IMHO. Great fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, 44" wide table surface, 425# of mass. It has a fairly large and loyal following, and a very good reputation. I had one for 3-1/2 years and really liked it...with good setup and a good blade, there was nothing I struggled much to cut. It was a nice upgrade from a very nice GI contractor saw.

It's made by Steel City's Orion subsidiary, who also makes the SC and new Ridgid hybrid.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

John,

+1 with what Scott Spencer just posted. Along with Scott I purchased this zip code (22124) hybrid table saw made by Orion for Sears. It is the same hybrid made for Steel City. The saw is a great buy for the price you posted, I have owned mine for 3 years and has never caused me any real problems. If there are things I did not like about the saw it probably was the "factory" dust collection set-up it has a plate on the back for a 4" hook-up and it just wasn't enough for me, I removed the plate and hard plumbed mine with 6" 2729 PVC and fittings. The only other thing I did not like about the saw compared to the SC was the lack of a toe kick under the saw after you adjust the 4 feet on the saw to level out the saw you will end up with a space of 1 to 1 1/2" between the bottom of the saw and the floor and it make a nice place for sawdust to collect and then you have to pull out the shop-vac to clean the sawdust up. Since I have hard lined my DC to the saw its not near as bad as it use to be but its just one of the quarks I don't like. The saw comes with a quality Leitz combination blade and worth the price you quoted. And I probably don't have to tell you about the quality of the Biesemeyer rip fence that comes with the saw, it probably sells for close to 300.00 without the saw. Another nice thing about the saw is it comes wired for a 20 amp 110V plug but you have the ability to cut the plug change a couple wires and run the motor on 220V if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    John,

Was this a floor model or new in box? Has anyone been able to pull this saw up on the Sears web site?

James

Blog Entries
    I would grab it. Another member hemmed and hawed on a similar deal and missed it. If you want inspiration, go online and price the fence.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-20-2009 at 1:08 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sears hybrid saw

I have had this saw for ablmost 2 years and it has performed well. I paid $850 on sale and thouht that was a good deal. At $475 ... you can't go wrong. The Biesemeyer fence is worth that amount. The fence is the gold standard of fences and I really do like it.
    I agree that the dust collection just seems a little poor .. just never stays completely clean.

I don't know what happened but it is no longer on the Sears website.

Again if you don't want to spend $1000 + then this is the saw to buy.

Blog Entries
    im new to woodworking and just got into it last summer and this saw was the first tool i bought, i found it on craigslist for $600 and of course i did some research and seen that it sold for over a grand new so i was happy that i got it for half price but if yours is new for under five bills i wouldnt even hesitate! and since its new i would get an extended warranty too, i think they service it fairly often then but im not certain?

anyway, i am not experienced with cabinet type saws but its very heavy, looks good, has the beisemeyer fence which is dead-ass accurate. but being a little more knowledgeable know and if i had the extra cash a saw stop would be the saw i would buy, but starting out or upgrading, you will not go wrong with the 22124

good luck!

I have the next model down (no Bies fence) and am very happy with it. It's no Powermatic, but for the price it's tough to beat. With a little setup time, it makes nice straight cuts and doesn't strain on even 6/4 or 8/4 stock.

And yes, the 'zip code' refers to the model #. I think 22124 is Northern Virginia.