Thread: Stamp Making Material Source

Stamp Making Material Source

Hi guys

What do I need to make and use rubber stamps, and where's a good place to buy. Gonna make some rubber stamp sets for my friends' kids as a little Christmas present. Thanks

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

David,

Do a search on here for Millenium Marking Co......I got a free sample from them and it worked GREAT!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    David,

Do a search on here for Millenium Marking Co......I got a free sample from them and it worked GREAT!
    Is the "no-odor polymer" really "no-odor"?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yes it is.....actually, both are pretty tame.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I make stamps for a living - All of the rubber stinks

You can get everything you need (rubber, wood mount, acrylic mount)

Google search "Jackson Marking Products"

I make all my own stamp polymer sheets for use in the laser.. There is a smell, but nothing like the three week rotten dead skunk odour you get from rubber.. I asked for a sample of that low/no odour rubber, and they send me a sheet of 'something' that didn't look any different than the normal stinky stuff, so I never got around to trying it.. The polymer vaporizes and leaves a oily residue that washes clean away with water..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

90% of my laser work is making rubber stamps. The "no odor" rubber from Millennium Marking is almost odor free. It looks the same as the other stuff, but I can finally run stamps without smelling it for three days, and that's with good exhaust! The next door bike shop hasn't threatened to do me in since I started using it. The only negative is that it is more sensitive to heat and will lose detail on extremely fine lines when doing a deeper etch. I still need to use El-Stinko occasionally, but I try to avoid if at all possible.

Well worth trying!

Art Anderson

Try the polymer.. They call it laser polymer, but it's the same stuff used for making UV exposed polymer stamps.. It has a bit of a sweet smell (no relation to the dead skunk rubber), and fine lines are no problem.. I only use 'rubber' if the stamp is being used with acid, solvent, or oil based inks. Polymer is fine for 99% of the stamps I make. My normal production runs is on a photopolymer plate maker, and I use the laser when I need a few quicker. If your making 50 a day, a laser is far too slow, and UV Polymer is the way to go. If your making a 100 or more of the same stamp, or a group of stamps, (like art stamps to be repeated) then vulcanized rubber is the way to go..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 10-24-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it