Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

How did a Windows 7 thread turn into a Mac thread ?
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

So to get back on track... I will be upgrading 80 computers over the Christmas break to Vista SP3.... I mean Windows 7. It does what my users need and I tested it for all the business apps we run in the office. My new laptop's ETA is next Thursday and I ordered a really handsome one from Dell, and loaded with Win7.

We skipped Vista as the performance was abysmal and some of the business applications were not ready for it (or Vista wasn't ready for them).

Just two months ago I upgraded 2 Windows servers to run Exchange and BlackBerry Servers. They both run great and are very stable. The other 4 servers, and 8 network storage/backup servers run Linux.

Mac is not an option for me as it has little to offer to businesses. Where I work Adobe Photoshop is considered not a business application, but cemetery management, fleet control or GIS software are.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    How did a Windows 7 thread turn into a Mac thread ?
    The cult had to take the opportunity to plug their brand of choice as the 'clearly superior' choice. I guess their EULA's require them to look down their noses at anyone not running in their pack.

Played with 7 extensively yesterday. It does seem to boot up faster, but I'll take the two PC's and do a drag race with them this evening to see which one boots faster. The two machines are practically identical.

ITunes opens practically instantly on 7, were as on Vista it doesn't open any faster than on my seven year old XP machine. 7 automatically installed the drivers for the printer/scanner, a feat the Mac OS failed to do, both 10.5 and 10.6.

Shut down is very much improved. Under 10 seconds.

All in all, there is about as much superficial difference between 7 and Vista as there is between 10.5 and 10.6. Under the hood though, 7 appears to be snappier than Vista.

Apple took a page out of MS' book in that they reduced the foot print of their OS on the hard drive. MS' shrank the overall size of the 7 OS. Considering this was a consideration from the beginning three years ago, it is safe to say the Apple definitely decided that in order to compete with MS they too would have to produce a smaller, lighter OS. Maybe that's why the rushed 10.6 out ahead of schedule?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    The cult had to take the opportunity to plug their brand of choice as the 'clearly superior' choice. I guess their EULA's require them to look down their noses at anyone not running in their pack.
    Super! I think you may be hard pressed to find any truth in that statement. Maybe your perception, but little truth. I don't think anyone on this thread said the Mac was superior at all, we just said that it's an option, and a valid option, not to ignore the nonsense that some people keep saying about how they were toys, not real computers, extremely high priced compared to PC's, etc.

None of which is actually true. No one said one is better than the other.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott - Whatever. You'll see the truth and facts as you see fit.

Apple is as much about technology as they are about design and making a statement (fashion, social or otherwise). To deny this aspect of the Apple culture is to be willfully ignorant. You cite sales figures as proof that Apple isn't a small company as if anyone ever argued that point. Their relative size wasn't germane to the thread, yet you somehow want to inject this one dimensional fact into a thread about 7.

Lets compare MS, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, Sony and everyone else. Let's put all the figures on the table and sort them in descending dominance. Apple will be near the bottom of that list.

Enjoy yourself.

Buh-bye.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 10-26-2009 at 3:44 PM.

Greg, I'm missing my post or a post by anyone else that said apples were "Clearly superior" (your words, not mine). That's YOUR claim that no one said. So I'm clearing up a misstatement that was implied about people on this thread.

I've said it about 100 times now. I don't care what you buy, but just know there are options out there, and those options aren't as far apart when you look at the facts as they seem when the hype is put out, for instance, the price.

A Dell PC of roughly the same speed/power is $529 where the mac is $599.

Not sure what else to say, other than to repeat "no one said what you quoted", so I can't defend something I didn't say.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    They are selling 12,000,000 computers a year. I'm not sure what industry you are in, but selling 12,000,000 of just about anything is hardly a feat to dismiss as a "fad".
    It strikes me as odd to compare stock performance of a company that gets the majority of its revenues from hardware sales against a company that just markets operating systems.

If you want to look solely at the OS side, MS has, as of about July 2009, about 86% of the client OS market. On the server side, Apple barely registers at all.

Yes, Apple may have better customer satisfaction rankings. If MS was a monopoly hardware provider, it might have better customer satisfaction rankings too. But, there are obvious costs to the consumer associated with having a sole source hardware supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    It strikes me as odd to compare stock performance of a company that gets the majority of its revenues from hardware sales against a company that just markets operating systems.

If you want to look solely at the OS side, MS has, as of about July 2009, about 86% of the client OS market. On the server side, Apple barely registers at all.

Yes, Apple may have better customer satisfaction rankings. If MS was a monopoly hardware provider, it might have better customer satisfaction rankings too. But, there are obvious costs to the consumer associated with having a sole source hardware supplier.
    Well said.

You are both right, there is no other OS than MS, we should all ignore everything else and just buy MS stuff. I agree. MS is king, MS has the best products ever. I'm going to download Windows 7 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You are both right, there is no other OS than MS, we should all ignore everything else and just buy MS stuff. I agree. MS is king, MS has the best products ever. I'm going to download Windows 7 now.
    Most of the windows users here have voiced anywhere from "reservations" to "outright contempt" for Microsoft and its products.

We're trying to decide whether to upgrade the OS that does the work that we need it to do.

Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux discussions have their place. I don't think this is one of them.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Funny story.

It was Apple that forced me to upgrade my OS.

I was running W2K for six or seven years and it worked just fine for me. However, Apple decided to pull the plug on that OS. I couldn't run ITunes, which is the only software Apple will let the IPod work with. I also couldn't run Quicktime because their current version at that time didn't support W2K.

So I bought a laptop this past summer that was loaded with the much maligned Vista but also included a free upgrade to 7. Vista has been solid for me, and 7 on my wifes machine seems to be solid so far.

I use on an IMac with great regularity at work. It's just another computer to me. I do not find it to be an exceptional machine and the OS is just a different GUI. I don't get the hype, but then I don't get the hype about Gibson Les Pauls. I'm a Fender man first and fore most.

Now I can run all the apps and hardware I want to or need to run. My Office 97 apps even run under Vista and 7.

I have been running Windows 7 public preview since I bought my new laptop about 2 months ago. Overall, I am impressed with the system compared to XP on my old computer. I never used Vista, so I have no basis of comparison. I especially like the ability to pin applications to the taskbar and the open recently used files by that application by right clicking on it. I also like the ability to switch between monitor profiles with the windows + P key shortcut.

I also updated my netbook to Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix this morning. It is a dramatic improvement over 9.04. It is faster with a cleaner interface.

Dan

I must also say that whoever chose those wallpaper options must have been smokin something funny.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I've been using the RTM (Release to Manufactures) release for about 2 months now. I absolutely love it. Upgrade was easy as eating cake, Hasn't once crashed on me and it certainly manages memory better than vista/xp etc etc. Well worth the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    How true that one is!
    Its really a cute commercial but untrue. Just like each release of the Apple OS there are incremental improvements. With each release of Windows there have been improvements. There was never a promise "This will be the LAST OS you will ever have to buy !" I know, I know Vista. Well there were improvements but the flaws outweighed the improvements in that case. But Vista SP2 works great.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........