Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

I had the opportunity to purchase the windows 7 upgrade at the student price of $30. I will receive it by download on the 22nd. with the hard disc to follow in the mail at a later date.
    I just finish copying all my files to a removable hard drive.
    I have cleaned up my vista machine in preparation for the upgrade.
    Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Nope, don't plan on it until I know most of the bugs are gone.
    David B

Linux guy. Largely cause of all this paying for continual upgrade nonsense. Oh yeah, it works better, too.

Smile Windows 7

I've been using beta versions for the past 7 months, I received the full professional version 10 days ago.
    It was a very easy installation, this was the first time that I didn't have to search for drivers that the previous versions of Windows missed.

I had Vista installed on both my laptop and desktop, I almost immediately went back to XP.

I think you'll be very happy with Windows 7.
    Mark Placek
    The Square Bowl Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Placek View Post
    I've been using beta versions for the past 7 months, I received the full professional version 10 days ago.
    It was a very easy installation, this was the first time that I didn't have to search for drivers that the previous versions of Windows missed.

I had Vista installed on both my laptop and desktop, I almost immediately went back to XP.

I think you'll be very happy with Windows 7.
    I hope so
    We have 8 computers in the house, 2 are desktops that have vista installed on them. Although vista has gotten better (more stable) the xp machines run circles around my vista machines. The vista machines we have were top of the line Hp machines when we purchased them last fall. I have one 5 year old E-machine that is faster than my Hp93501f running vista. I have a old Tablet that I may convert to linux because I keep getting a pop up telling that the OS may be pirated, I know that it is not; I purchased the software directly from MS. but I really do not want spend anymore time fixing their screwed up software glitches.
    LaserCut 5.3

Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

I'm in the minority. I'm quite happy with Vista. Then again, I didn't buy it until it had been out for six months, and I knew all my various components had decent drivers.

Seeing as my Vista x64 system is working flawlessly -- as a Media Center system -- I see no reason to upgrade. When the bugs are ironed out, and someone writes add-ons that make Windows 7 Media Center better, I'll upgrade.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Yeah....but my upgrade will be to the largest Imac I can get my hands on. As of this year, I am done with Windows & PCs. Going to be a major change, but I am finally ready.

I plan never to use Windows again - Oh, I already did that 2 years ago. It just cracks me up that they call it an "operating" system.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    I had the opportunity to purchase the windows 7 upgrade at the student price of $30. I will receive it by download on the 22nd. with the hard disc to follow in the mail at a later date.
    I just finish copying all my files to a removable hard drive.
    I have cleaned up my vista machine in preparation for the upgrade.
    James,

You are very computer literate from the sound of it. Have you ever considered running any version of linux?

Upgrade! I don't need no stinkin upgrade. I am still using Windows 98.

I've been using windows 7 as the primary os on this computer since RC1 came out. I have been very happy with it. Reltatively stable, good support for hardware and some of the taskbar/menu pinning options are very cool. For comparison I've got windows xp on my work laptop and ubuntu (linux) on another machine. I'd got unbuntu on all of them by work requires some software that is windows only and codeweavers/wine can't run it .

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    James, I have to ask, "WHY?"

You are in for a round of hurt.

Google this...

windows 7 source:computerworld

If it ain't broke...
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Part of the launch of windows 7, have had my copies of ultimate 64bit and 32 bit for two weeks now, Full retail.

Installed on four different machines, not a single hickup on anyoff them!

Two were laptops and two desktops, both 32 and 64 bit.

It was smooth as silk, and no driver issues, and no issues with programs running at all.

There will always be a few situations that have problems but that is the nature of the system. Over all this time they did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    James,

You are very computer literate from the sound of it. Have you ever considered running any version of linux?
    I started with my first DOS machine in 1983, it was a 286. I was very happy with it until I saw my first Macintosh and abandon the PC line with glee.
    I was a very loyal mac user for many years going through 3 of 4 models until just before the release of o.s. 8. Apple just did not have the verity of software that the PC offered. Also I was no longer a idealistic youth, I was becoming a pragmatic adult and I was tired of swimming up stream. So I switch back to The PC just in time for windows ME. It was not a MAC but it could run all kinds of new software.
    In my opinion the PC has alwasy been playing catch up to the Mac OS.
    And my next machine may be another mac now that more softwaer can be run on them.
    As far as a running linux I will give that a try when this school sumester is over. I will try it on my Tablet.
    Thanks for asking
    Jim J
    LaserCut 5.3

I'll be loading 7 after it lands in my mailbox. My nephew has been testing/using 7 for the past year as part of his computer science studies at his university. Thumbs up from him.

When it comes to computers and operating systems, none of them are without drawbacks and glitches. The upgrade to OS Snow Leopard went relatively smooth with the exception of Apple Works configuration files getting corrupted in the process.

Pick your poison.

I've had recording sessions delayed and ultimately canceled because the Mac had corrupt drivers (this was a dedicated, high end Mac unit). A friend of mine who is a recording engineer used Apple for years and years and finally went to PC this past year. He regrets not making the change long ago. The cost for hardware and software for the Mac version of the required hardware and software is easily four to five times the cost of the PC equivalent. The performance is the same, and ultimately the results are identical.

Your mileage may vary.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.