Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

the speed of windows seven comes pretty close to my mac. it blows away xp on the same machine. it's been rock stable. I id not try the newest version of vista so I can't comment but it has been very nice instead of xp.
    I have debated on getting a mac for work but running the cad software and my cnc software on it would be too clunky. so I use 7 there.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I've had it available through my MSDN subscription for some time now, I've just not taken the time to do the install.

I do however have every intention of doing the install at some point when I have the time (or, rather, I want to spend the time). I've got the install sitting here at my desk on a USB key right now (yes, you can install from USB).

I've been running Vista at home for a few years now and overall it has been a positive experience. I've done video editing with Adobe Premiere... with multiple 12gb files open at the same time, and it has performed very well.

One of the guys in my office has been running it for a few months and he is satisfied. We are actually installing it here at work on a system used by the gal that does all our print work. She will be getting the full Adobe compliment of applications along with the 7 install (she has always had the adobe, but we are looking forward to better stability).
    In testing, all our Active Directory policies have applied properly to the new machine, so that is a good start.
    fledgling weekend warrior

I am glad to here that some have had good luck with Windows 7. I am still running XP and have been happy with it. There were too many complaints about Vista that I did not want to try it. I think that I will convert my two desktops and laptop to Windows 7 after it has been out a little while. Microsoft certainly did not stay with Vista very long.

I have been running the release version of if sense the first part of August. Really alot better than Vista was and all my management tools run on Win7 where they would not on Vista. A very worthwhile upgrade.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Been using Windows 7 on four machines over the past few months. Upgrade is a no brainer at those prices. Much more reliable and faster than the vista option I was running previously. You probably don't need to wait for the bugs to get out...you field tested all the bugs with vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    Been using Windows 7 on four machines over the past few months. Upgrade is a no brainer at those prices. Much more reliable and faster than the vista option I was running previously. You probably don't need to wait for the bugs to get out...you field tested all the bugs with vista.
    That's good to hear, as we are about to upgrade our whole system (It's been a while). I decided to just wait until 7 was readily available, but had some concern, being that it was new. Our old system is just to slow anymore for our needs (processor, ram, etc..) will be looking into available desktops in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    Yeah....but my upgrade will be to the largest Imac I can get my hands on. As of this year, I am done with Windows & PCs. Going to be a major change, but I am finally ready.
    Kelly, get the new 27" IMac you will never go back. I develop for both platforms and much prefer the Mac. I was one of those I hate Mac guys for years until I got tired of all the viruses, malware and crashes and tried one out! I have my IMac on a network with several PCs and share data seamlessly. I'm ordering a new 17" Mac Book soon.

Put Windows 7 on my laptop yesterday to replace Vista. So far, so good!

Jim

I'm currently putting my fingers in my ears and yelling "La-La-La-La."

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop with Windows 7. I have next to no trust in Microsoft and only use their products because the software I want to run requires Windows.

Surely there will be a major security flaw, instant irreversible BSOD or some other malady that will need to be fixed via a Service Pack.

EDIT -- Putting Windows onto a fast computer is like owning a Ferrari, and then putting a deranged alcoholic suffering from DTs behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 10-21-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Nice analogy!
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I don't plan on going to windows 7 even if it is faster and, supposedly, better. I have heard these claims so often from MS that they need to taken with a grain of salt. Likely there will be some majoj security flaw requiring a service pack to repair. To upgrade just for the sake of upgrading....not for me.

I haven't been paying attention to any MS claims about 7's performance. I've heard much more from people that have been running RC's. The rollout for 7 has been pretty conservative compared to previous OS rollouts.

Two years ago, Apple's Safari browser was a joke. Out of the box I couldn't get the IMac to connect to the Apple site. Most other sites were not a problem, but some were. Firefox took care of that little problem. Haven't tried Safari since. Apple has their share of quirks too.

AppTel or WinTel, pick your poison.

BTW, Google Chrome rocks.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    I'm in the minority. I'm quite happy with Vista. Then again, I didn't buy it until it had been out for six months, and I knew all my various components had decent drivers.

Seeing as my Vista x64 system is working flawlessly -- as a Media Center system -- I see no reason to upgrade. When the bugs are ironed out, and someone writes add-ons that make Windows 7 Media Center better, I'll upgrade.
    I am not a computer power user but have been happy with Vista. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
    I do not plan to upgrade. The new Windows is always the greatest thing since sliced bread. But bugs start to show up. One thing gets fixed but you just have another problem.
    The real reason for not doing the upgrade. I'm too cheap.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Its Stable

Its funny to hear all the Windows sucks crowd. I think Microsoft releasing such a widespread beta version into the public helped them get a grasp on whats good and bad and fine tune it. This was not a rushed OS. Will it have problems ? ? Of course but such a big release always will.

Yeah we all know Apple is the best and never has any problems. Yeah we know your the hipsters ans Steve Jobs is a rockstar that can do no wrong.

I think Microsoft does a good job supporting the millions of different hardware configurations that we may throw at it. Unlike Apple where you have to buy their hardware and they have control of what you can and can't do.

I really like Vista SP2. I like it in the fact it has done everything I need it to do. And it does it well without crashing.

Anyway James I am planning fresh installs on my 2 machines. I just never liked the whole upgrade path that installs over the old OS. Clean install for me !
    Last edited by Anthony Scira; 10-22-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I agree with you about macs. Now Linux....there's a different story. Runs on practically hardware, (even older stuff) and stable as a rock. AND ... free.

Can't beat that.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I agree with you about macs. Now Linux....there's a different story. Runs on practically hardware, (even older stuff) and stable as a rock. AND ... free.

Can't beat that.

Paul
    Linux is cool, I even put it on my Mom's computer. She just uses the internet and her computer is a little on the old side.

As far as run on all hardware that is true. But it does not even come close for the driver support. And that is what most people need. Windows is so bloated since it has to do so much to cover all the different things we throw at it.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........