Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

Its funny. I have less trouble with driver support now than I ever did with windows.

Back when I was teaching networking and all (in a Microsoft school), I used to have students ask me why Windows was so dominant, and I could never answer them. I'm more puzzled by that now than ever.

So long as a user can stay within the confines of the universe as defined by Apple, Macs offer an acceptable solution. MS has a vastly wider user base to address, thus their challenges are exponentially numerous.

I've not had any problems of note with Vista SP2. I do not like the interface as it seems they just changed things for the sake of change. Since I've not heard, seen or read anything of merit to dissuade me, I will install my 'free' 7 upgrade at some time in the near future.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Back when I was teaching networking and all (in a Microsoft school), I used to have students ask me why Windows was so dominant, and I could never answer them. I'm more puzzled by that now than ever.
    MS had Excel and then penetrated Novell's market. Novell was a better network OS, but MS had the graphical interface. I'm sure there are other factors that influenced MS' size in the early years. But having Windows 3.11 on hundreds of thousands, if not millions of PC's, introduced the concept of networking to a much larger market than Novell.

I understand the mechanics of it, but not the logic....:-)

I agree, it doesn't make sense. But MS offered a nice, shiny product and the masses assumed since it looked cool it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

People are easily sold something that is against their best interests because Oh look, something shiny............................................. ....

You know I knew a company that had a Novell 3.12 server that had been running for 7 years and had never been rebooted. We had a web server running FreeBSD that was up for 5 years, no reboots, never hacked.

and yet Microsoft dominates,,,,

I think MS got in through the back door. They got an army of developers to code programs for Windows.

For those "Apple Bashers" that think people that use Mac's do it because they are status symbols, here's a comparison chart between the 2 companies over 10 years. Which one would you rather have invested in?

With performance like that over a 10 year period, it's clearly more to it than "people think they are status symbols" or "real companies don't use Mac's", etc.

Apparently somebody, somewhere, in much bigger numbers than some of you think are using them. If not, then the chart wouldn't look like this. Apple's stock in the last 5 years, on fire, Microsoft's, not so much.

See attached chart.

p.s. I don't own a Mac, so you can't group me in with them!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

"You know I knew a company that had a Novell 3.12 server that had been running for 7 years and had never been rebooted. We had a web server running FreeBSD that was up for 5 years, no reboots, never hacked.

and yet Microsoft dominates,,,, "

Yeah ummmmmmm thats a fair comparison. There is a HUGE diffrence between a dedicated server and a home PC. You do not have people surfing the net on it, installing flash games and all kinds of other stuff. Lets see how well your Novell server and FreeBSD connects to my camcorder and edits my AVCHD video and then formats it to upload to a website.

Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Apparently somebody, somewhere, in much bigger numbers than some of you think are using them. If not, then the chart wouldn't look like this. Apple's stock in the last 5 years, on fire, Microsoft's, not so much.
    I bet it has more to do with the fact that just about everyone in the First World owns an iPod. (And now iPhones, too. Everyone around here at least seems to be using them.)
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    For those "Apple Bashers" that think people that use Mac's do it because they are status symbols, here's a comparison chart between the 2 companies over 10 years. Which one would you rather have invested in?

With performance like that over a 10 year period, it's clearly more to it than "people think they are status symbols" or "real companies don't use Mac's", etc.

See attached chart.

p.s. I don't own a Mac, so you can't group me in with them!
    Well MS definately had a big marketing problem against Apple. But I think the lion share of those profits are for iPhones and iPods. They hit a home run in that respect.

If you look at how many PC's there are running a Microsoft product they still CRUSH apple.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    "You know I knew a company that had a Novell 3.12 server that had been running for 7 years and had never been rebooted. We had a web server running FreeBSD that was up for 5 years, no reboots, never hacked.

and yet Microsoft dominates,,,, "

Yeah ummmmmmm thats a fair comparison. There is a HUGE diffrence between a dedicated server and a home PC. You do not have people surfing the net on it, installing flash games and all kinds of other stuff. Lets see how well your Novell server and FreeBSD connects to my camcorder and edits my AVCHD video and then formats it to upload to a website.

It would do just fine. I know from experience, cause I do it every day on my home machine.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    It would do just fine. I know from experience, cause I do it every day on my home machine.
    Linux is fine for more tech oriented people. And I have even installed a copy of Ubuntu for my parents that surf the internet on an older machine.

Yeah to get drivers to make their printer work was a PITA. It works but still lost the functionality of the scanner.

I'll pop an old 250GB drive in and test drive FreeBSD and see how well it edits the AVCHD video. Any reccomendations on programs or will there be an editor already installed ?
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I read an article today that MS for the first time ever, sat down with computer makers (Dell, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, HP...) and asked for their input.

A lot of the security issues with Windows is the result of users using the administrator account for their main logon. Then they start loading every which widget, program, add on and plug in from who knows where.

MS is finally getting the message that we want a light, fast, stable OS. They have asked the computer makers to stop pre-loading their machines with all the crap trial programs one typically finds on a new machine. I know, MS is guilty of this too as my machine came with trial versions of Office and Quicken.

Take the IPod and IPhone out of the Apple line up and they've not much to hang their hat on.

And are we so far removed from the stock bubble that we have forgotten how inaccurate share prices are as a measure of a companies dominance in their market?

Apple stock may or may not be higher than MS stock at this moment, too lazy to check. But which company has a bigger foot print/install base.

I'm sorry, I meant Ubuntu. I am no masochist, and would never run xserver on freebsd.