Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7. Has anyone else started to plan for the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    So if you need something elegant to go with your furnature I guess I would go with a Mac.
    Isn't implying that they are nothing more than pretty to fit in with your furniture saying it's nothing more than hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    I guess if your in a graphics line of work you need the high end stuff.
    Exactly my point. Guess what's not "high end graphics work" these days. Digital photography. You take a photo with a DSLR, it captures the colors, you open Photoshop on your $129 at Staples on sale monitor, think "I need to adjust the colors". You adjust them, send them to be professionally printed and they come back and you say "Humm...the colors aren't quite like I remembered".

Design a logo for someone without a high end monitor and wait until it gets printed. You're not actually seeing what the end result should look like. You have to have a very good monitor, you have to have the tools (hardware and software) to calibrate the monitor, and you start from there. So if you are into digital photography, or graphic design, you can't, with the $499 complete system from Dell, even come close to doing professional work. So yes, you got a $499 computer, but what's it good for? Surfing the internet? Typing spreadsheets? Reading email? If that's all you do, then you are 100% correct, you don't need the Mac. But to repeatedly state that the $499 Dell is in the same category with an iMac is completely false.

The iMac is ready for digital photography and graphic design. What you see on the screen is what you will get when it prints, because it will calibrate. If you've never experienced the new Apple monitors, you need to. They are stunning.

And you may not have gotten a virus, but millions of your counterparts have. You should realize that not everyone is a techno-head and understands what you should and shouldn't do on a daily basis. For 90% of the public, when the box pops up and says "You have a virus, click here to clean the virus", they have no way to know that it's anything other than something cleaning the virus. They don't know it's actually the virus. You do. Most people don't.

I'll gladly have a beer with you any time In fact, I'm thirsty now I'm buying, pony up to the bar!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Isn't implying that they are nothing more than pretty to fit in with your furniture saying it's nothing more than hype?

Exactly my point. Guess what's not "high end graphics work" these days. Digital photography. You take a photo with a DSLR, it captures the colors, you open Photoshop on your $129 at Staples on sale monitor, think "I need to adjust the colors". You adjust them, send them to be professionally printed and they come back and you say "Humm...the colors aren't quite like I remembered".

Design a logo for someone without a high end monitor and wait until it gets printed. You're not actually seeing what the end result should look like. You have to have a very good monitor, you have to have the tools (hardware and software) to calibrate the monitor, and you start from there. So if you are into digital photography, or graphic design, you can't, with the $499 complete system from Dell, even come close to doing professional work. So yes, you got a $499 computer, but what's it good for? Surfing the internet? Typing spreadsheets? Reading email? If that's all you do, then you are 100% correct, you don't need the Mac. But to repeatedly state that the $499 Dell is in the same category with an iMac is completely false.

The iMac is ready for digital photography and graphic design. What you see on the screen is what you will get when it prints, because it will calibrate. If you've never experienced the new Apple monitors, you need to. They are stunning.

And you may not have gotten a virus, but millions of your counterparts have. You should realize that not everyone is a techno-head and understands what you should and shouldn't do on a daily basis. For 90% of the public, when the box pops up and says "You have a virus, click here to clean the virus", they have no way to know that it's anything other than something cleaning the virus. They don't know it's actually the virus. You do. Most people don't.

I'll gladly have a beer with you any time In fact, I'm thirsty now I'm buying, pony up to the bar!
    Nope I REALLY mean they have the best designed computers out there. They are beautiful. And the iPhone is a work of art.

Hey I never said a $499 dollar computer is as good as an iMac. I said that the 500 dollar computer is a great computer for a vast majority of the people.

And I will say the $499 computer would do the majority of the photo editing 99% of the average people out there. And when they put their photo album together they are not holding the pictures up to the screen saying "Man this just does not look right."

Now yes if you are a professional wedding photographer or a graphics designer. Well you are prolly making the money to buy your proper tools which includes the iMac. But also 10,000+ dollars in camera bodies and lenses.

Now you got me thinking about how accurate my color is on my monitor and how to properly adjust it...........

I think were gonna have to switch to whiskey!
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Anthony, great post! See, you got mixed in with those who do NOT think Mac has a place in the market. Apparently you are not one of those people

It's early morning, so we can start with the whiskey now Hey, it is the weekend
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Nope, don't plan on it until I know most of the bugs are gone.
    Eat well and get plenty of exercise...you may be in for a long wait

So yes, you got a $499 computer, but what's it good for? Surfing the internet? Typing spreadsheets? Reading email? If that's all you do, then you are 100% correct, you don't need the Mac.
    This describes many, if not most users requirements. IF I were a photo buff and had the equipment and software, Mac would certainly get a consideration.

But I use an awful lot of spreadsheets and build a ton of ad hock SQL queries. Good luck with Apples solutions for those endeavors.

Apple does their thing well and they certainly have a place. However, as badly as they may outshine MS in some areas, they are equally outshined by MS in many other areas, two of which I just described.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    This describes many, if not most users requirements.
    Errrr.....and building ad hock SQL queries is an event most users require? Ummm....hardly. I've used Open Office for years now. It runs on Apple and I build spreadsheets all the time. Not sure what you're saying now. As most "main stream" users don't do ad hoc SQL queries either.

At least we're finally getting people to admit they do have their place in the market as opposed to the "utter waste of money" tone that runs through most of these type posts.

Also, the Mac Mini isn't $1500, it's just over $500, so the cost isn't as bad as it's made out to be either. The Mac Mini will do most all of what the average computer user wants to do, and by the time you add on your annual subscriptions to Norton or McAfee or whoever, you'd PC will be costing you MORE than the Mac.

Errrr.....and building ad hock SQL queries is an event most users require? Ummm....hardly. I've used Open Office for years now. It runs on Apple and I build spreadsheets all the time. Not sure what you're saying now. As most "main stream" users don't do ad hoc SQL queries either.

At least we're finally getting people to admit they do have their place in the market as opposed to the "utter waste of money" tone that runs through most of these type posts.

Also, the Mac Mini isn't $1500, it's just over $500, so the cost isn't as bad as it's made out to be either. The Mac Mini will do most all of what the average computer user wants to do, and by the time you add on your annual subscriptions to Norton or McAfee or whoever, you'd PC will be costing you MORE than the Mac.
    Check this out. I think MS is going to put Norton and McAffee out of business !

http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

They have not been promoting it but its supposed to be the best out there. Hope it does not get as bloated as Norton !
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Scott don't waste your keystrokes... They will never get it.....and do we really want them to?

PS...did you see the new 27" imac with quad core processors???? I have several 24" imacs....but man i want the big boy now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    Scott don't waste your keystrokes... They will never get it.....and do we really want them to?

PS...did you see the new 27" imac with quad core processors???? I have several 24" imacs....but man i want the big boy now!!!
    Exactly Tim!

Yes, I saw them yesterday on an email I get from Apple......WOW!!! I like the idea of the quad core and the real estate on that widescreen is insane! My widescreeen is 18.5"....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post

Tim, I did see that. I need a new keyboard now because I drooled all over my existing one

Every day I secretly hope my computer doesn't boot up so it can be the day I go buy a new IMac Stupid Dell, it keeps starting every day (despite my drooling on it) I thought I saw something as well about being able to have 16GB of RAM!

If I had never sat down in front of an IMac, you might have a valid claim. My complaints about the the system may be petty, but at the end of the day the IMac is not better, faster or more efficient than my old XP machine.

After upgrading to 10.6 it certainly didn't automatically update the drivers for the HP scanner.

Apple is so focused on looking forward, they don't even have a backspace key! Try communicating to a user to use their delete key.

Like I said, most of my issues with Apple are petty. But the bottom line is pretty simple for me, Apple doesn't provide a solution to any problem I have. If this makes me tone deaf, blind or otherwise handicapped in some fashion, so be it.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    How true that one is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    How true that one is!
    This is a truly inspired ad by Apple. Windows people (and I am one of them) have heard that the latest operating system is going to fix all the problems of the previous operating system too many times.

Mac works great for Mac people -- it isn't for me though. I like my PC games too much. I also LOVE Windows Media Center. Many programs would work for me on either a Mac or Windows -- Photoshop, Quark, Exact Audio Copy, etc.

Linux variations don't have what I need, as much as I love the IDEA of Linux. It doesn't run the programs I want. Do Linux fans expect me to play Nethack for the rest of my life? Nethack is a fun game. But I need my Civ4, Fallout 3 and (someday) Starcraft 2.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

In the end, the computer is simply a tool to aid the user in achieving a desired result.

Apple is to computing what Festool is to woodworking.

If Apple had a product that addressed a want or need, I'd buy an Apple product.