Thread: Drill press decision: G7944, G7947, G7948

Drill press decision: G7944, G7947, G7948

I've pretty much decided on a Grizzly brand drill press.....seem to get the most value for the money. Now the question is how big a drill press do I need for cabinet/furniture making?

G7944 $295 + $69 shipping - 14", 3-1/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 3/4 HP
    G7947 $525 + $89 shipping - 17", 4-3/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 1 HP
    G7948 $595 Free Shipping - 20", 4-3/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 1-1/2 HP

With free shipping, the 20" is actually a few dollars less expensive than the 17"...but it's a beast at 331lbs!

Thoughts?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I would go for the longest quil travel you can find. Since the 17" and the 20" are the same price the is no reason not to go with the 20" that I can see.

Blog Entries
    I have a 14". I use it mostly for my sanding mops. I have a 17" that is good for woodworking, a 20" would be even better. I was saving for a SCTW with the 6" quill travel. Got something else on sale and am pleased that in practice, I have never missed the extra 2" of quill travel. that being said I would not want to give up any quill travel either.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would wait for the New DP coming from Grizzly, a few months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    What makes it worth waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Eddie, please share what you know about the New Griz DP. Where did you hear about it? Why is it worth waiting for? Features? Price? Etc.

Anyone else hear about this?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Eddie, please share what you know about the New Griz DP. Where did you hear about it? Why is it worth waiting for? Features? Price? Etc.

Anyone else hear about this?
    From this thread earlier this month: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121904
    "
    Shiraz Balolia
    Contributor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd
    Jeffrey, this is precisely why this is in Grizzly's wheelhouse. Shiraz founded the company because, as a woodworker himself, he was frustrated by the lack of quality affordable tools that offered value and innovation.

Now, you guys wouldn't be trying to shame me into doing something, would you ?

There is one in the works, but many months away. There are larger projects ahead of it. We have a pretty good selection now, but none have everything you want in one. I, personally, like the ones with crossfeed tables on them. Have a couple in both my metal and woodworking shops at home, but neither are variable speed. I just deal with the pulleys when needed."
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 10-21-2009 at 1:40 PM.

I have the G7944 and have never wished for a larger or more powerful one in the 7 or so years that I've owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've pretty much decided on a Grizzly brand drill press.....seem to get the most value for the money. Now the question is how big a drill press do I need for cabinet/furniture making?

G7944 $295 + $69 shipping - 14", 3-1/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 3/4 HP
    G7947 $525 + $89 shipping - 17", 4-3/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 1 HP
    G7948 $595 Free Shipping - 20", 4-3/4 quill travel, 12 speed, 1-1/2 HP

With free shipping, the 20" is actually a few dollars less expensive than the 17"...but it's a beast at 331lbs!

Thoughts?
    I guess it all depends on what you are making. I have a 14" (I think).. the basic Delta drill press. I use mine primarily for Euro hinges and stuff like that. Never had the need to have a 17" or 20" drill press. But if you have the $600 budget, why not get the biggest, most awesome one? At the time I bought mine, money was an issue. Never had the need to upgrade.