Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A jewelry Box I just finished.

Blog Entries

A jewelry Box I just finished.

I did a little bartering with one of my suppliers. I got a bunch of wire and connectors for my stereo business and he got this for his wife. This was one of my first attempts at marquetry. Dewey inspired me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 10-20-2009 at 8:48 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Beautiful as usual, Bill. I'm sure your supplier, and more importantly his wife, was very happy with the box. Heck, "box" really isn't the right work for something this well done.

You really like your Incra, don't you?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Yet another great piece....

Beautiful workmanship Bill.
    Thanks for the look see.

Wow, Bill. Excellent work as usual, even with never attempted marquetry.
    What material did you use for the back of the lid and the bottom of the box? Jim

Nice but...

Very nice work. I would like to have seen some photos of the corner joints. From what I can see, it looks like a very creative approach to the joints. What about the base? A photo of your treatment of the base and profiles would be nice. Not a complaint just that I would enjoy some creative input and inspiration.

Phil

Great job, Bill!! The curly maple is a great contrast. Looks like you applied a dark wood to the CM dividers - am I seeing that correctly? Also, what veneer/wood is the top?

Bill, nice job as usual, but to my eye, the proportions are a little off !

I'm glad to see you have mastered the "double Double" joints !
    MARK

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I agree, the proportions are a little off. I should have made the lid a little smaller so it didn't have such a wide lip around the box. It looks exagerated due to the picture. It's actually the same size as the base.
    As far as the wood on the lid goes, it's burl Walnut I got from Veneer supplies.com.
    The inside of the lid and the floor are faux Suede and the trays were topped off with some Walnut. All in all he was very happy so it was a success. ]
    He just called as I was typing and said his wife was so happy that she cried. That makes it all worth while.
    Now back to the big curved humidor and another desk top.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 10-21-2009 at 1:30 PM.

Bill your boxes/humidors are really inspiring... Would you mind going though your finish process?

Thanks!
    Chris

Blog Entries
    No problem. First I use a sealer, then I brush on 2 coats of lacquer, one coat one way , the next in the opposite direction. I let is sit for about an hour. Next I do this same method about 5 times. Now I let it sit for 24 hours. Once it has cured Iblock it out with 220 and do the process all over again. At this point I have between 6 and 10 coats of lacquer on it. Now I start wet sanding using a cork block with 400 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit. Next I used Rotten Stone powder and water to get it really smooth. A little car rubbing compound from 3M and automotive wax to finish it off. It is a lot of work but you know what they say "When you get to finish,,,,,, you're just getting started"

very nice box... man, that maple heart is stunning
    fledgling weekend warrior

Wow, I feel sorry for you, Bill. Your supplier clearly got the better end of the deal... I'm embarking on a much humbler jewelry box project next month for my daughter. Thanks for inspiring...

Nice job, Bill. The heart jumped out at me telling me to "look at me"! I really like the way you handled the interior of the box.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I saw an episode of "how it's made" the other day about music boxes. the guy did the inlay before he attached the veneer to the project. I did the same thing and it was much easier than any other method I've tried. (I've only done 2 or 3 inlays ever though and the first 2 don't count)