Thread: Hinge Help !! THANK YOU GUYS for the help ! (result pics)

Hinge Help !! THANK YOU GUYS for the help ! (result pics)

It's been a while since I posted asking for help on some hinge placement. I didn't think hinges would work out, so I settled for "runners" instead. But THANKS for the tips and hints.

My wife thinks this piece is a Piece of S****!

I call it "out of the box", because it is so different that anything I have ever made.

It started out as a frame that I wanted to try with the Leight FMT jig. I used the thru tenons and that worked out pretty nice.

I also tried some kind of a Maloof joint with an insert of maple and walnut. Finish is my usual lazyman's finish of Danish and wax.

The box has the drawer in the back.

Criticisms are welcome, and no one can be worse than my wife on critiquing my work, so I am steeled for any less than rave reviews (e.g. trashing it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

It's a very interesting design and the craftsmanship is very good. Your wife actually said it's a piece of s***? Ouch! I disagree.

Looks good to me. Very much a one of a kind peice, but not s***. Shows good technique and can be a great conversation peice.

a piece of s***? What does your wife eat?

I realy like it! realy nice design, realy nice craftsman chip. So I guess next time your wife is asking you to make something....
    Good work!

I've never seen that concept before, Mark. My first thought before I read box was what is it? Once I knew I found it so unusual that it almost became intrique figuring out how did you come up with the design. I think "out of the box" is a good name as it as you won't see one like that in your daily travel unless you happen to drop by your house.

Bottom line is I like it just because it is an out of the box concept...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

"Yeah honey, you are right! You have such a good eye for all things hand crafted. I love you for that. That lousy FMT is just not what I need to make pieces that please you. A new JDS Multi Router will make it all better. Its on order already. I will try not to displease you next time. Make sure you sign for it when it comes next week."
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I believe the craftmanship is great. As far as the desighn it's not to my liking but I certainly don't think it's a piece of (*&^. It would seem your wife prefers a different desighn and because I'm old and been through a couple of wifes. I believe your wife need to exspress herself in a more controlled manner.

I have looked at furniture that was in no way my personell taste but the craftmanship was excellent and I have tried to learn from it. Of course if you have not studied it, ask questions and did you your best to construct and build something it's always easy to form an opinion about something you know nothing about.