Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bamboo fly rods and nets

bamboo fly rods and nets

Some of the things I do. I built all the forms, jigs and a lot of the tools I use myself. Hope you enjoy.

resize 4.jpg

resized 2.jpg

resized 1.jpg

resized 3.jpg

Wow. That is just beautiful. I have read articles about making my own fly rod before but I have not seen anyone make one yet.

awesome!!!! I'm gonna build a few nets this winter i hope, the rods, are beautiful, but I'm hard on rods and i know that I'd break them in short order. But I can at least admire a fine cane rod from afar. beautiful work!!!!

where do you use these rods and nets? (no need to out specific streams or rivers) I fish a lot around the driftless area of western WI, and try to make a trip out west once a year. i'm completely addicted.
    Last edited by Patrick Doody; 10-22-2009 at 12:36 PM.

I have seen several TV clips on the making of bamboo rods - WAY too tedious for me!! You did some great work on these, and the wood on the nets is fantastic. I notice you have them branded - do you do this commercially?

Thank you for the replies.

Patrick,

Sadly, I don't fish for trout much anymore. I grew up in W PA and used to fish all over the country but I rarely do it anymore. I fish vicariously through my son who guides in Patagonia and tierra del fuego.

John,

No, For myself. The "branded" rod is the neshannock creek special, the first trout stream I ever fished, and REU are the initials of the man who enabled me to get there. It was made of my own taper and in his honer.

By the way, I harvested all the wood in the nets and reel seats myself, except for the zebrawwood, of course.

M

I'm guessing that you used tonkin cane to construct the rods. Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego are very high on my list of "places that I would love to fish but will probably never make it there" probably somewhere right below outer Mongolia for Taimen. At the very least I'm happy fishing in WI and Montana once a year.

I love that you harvested all of the wood yourself, that's a reel labor of love!

I may send you some questions once i start to gear up for net production, I hope to make a few for my fishing clan, we'll see.

Nice job on those, Mark. I admire those that build rods as there are a few locals here in Atlanta who's work I have seen. I used to a great deal of trout fishing also but... things change as I seem to stay buried in the shop these days.

Well done..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I think the net is a great idea! Could you post some info on where you go the netting material, attachment detail, etc?

I'm kind of tired of losing a good sized fish at the side of the boat! No really, it has happened!
    Last edited by Matt Day; 10-23-2009 at 1:27 PM.

Patrick, I'll help as much as I can.

John, Thanks!

Matt, these boat nets are for you. Bags are one big hurdle in making nets. I get a lot of net bags from Ed Cummings in mi, talk to Brenda. There is also a guy in seattle who does custom bags reasonably. Just google custom net bags. I just secure them with waxed cotton thread through 36-42 1/16" holes in the net frame. Hole # depends on the net bag. Ther is a lot more to it than that, but they are all stumbling block we have to overcome.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 10-23-2009 at 9:20 PM.

Awesome! I love the fighting butt too!
    beautiful wood

Mark,
    I'm interested in making a landing net for my SIL for Christmas. I will be using 5-3/32'' strips by 6 feet long for the lamination and haven't decided on a glue that will give me enough open time so that my slow hands can can get them glued, stacked and clamped before the glue tacks up too much and will still be waterproof or water resistant. Any suggestions?

Jim Pritchett

Jim, I'm not Mark, but I had good success with a glue caled DURAL AM18, it comes in a powder form and it is espacialy made for laminated stuctures. It's a waterproof marine glue. It's made by Multibond inc. in Quebec, Canada. It as a long open time and is realy easy to use.

Jim, I can't help much there if Tightbond III is too fast setting up. I use Titebond II even on some rods. I like my supplies to be simple and available, and titebond is.

I will point out that 15/32" is OK for a boat net but it may be a little thick for a hand net frame. You didn't mention what style you were making.

Mark,

The net I have in mind is in the Woodsmith Weekend Woodworking book and is quite similar to the 4th photo in your first post. Do you think Titebond III will have at least 10 minutes open time? If so, I might be able to handle that. The form will have 12 to 14 f-style clamps. Thanks for the help. Jim Pritchett