Thread: Curly Maple End Table

Curly Maple End Table

Here's my latest project, made from western maple and finished with Sam Maloof oil/poly. This was my first time using this finish and I was amazed at how easy it was to apply and how good the finish turned out.

Thanks for looking and please comment good or bad on the design, it's something fairly new for me.

John, first let me say that is some fantastic wood - both the tight grained curly maple stretcher and the top and sides. I like the overall concept.

Normally, I would not offer a negative comment, but you have solicited input with the design. I would have to say that the inward canted legs do not appeal to me. It is a difficult design element to pull off, and with the mass of this piece - particularly the top, IMHO they give the piece a look of instability. Splayed legs would have been another option to consider. Of course, depending on how the piece is used and the surroundings, all of that could negate this effect. So, please take my comments in that light.

You did a great job on the piece. The finish, construction, and concept are excellent. And, I like the arch in the spreader. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion on the base/legs, and I am sure that many others may feel differently.

I do hope you have more of that wood. It has some wonderful potential for so many different projects! Nice find.

I'll respectfully disagree with John Keeton - I like the legs. I see John's point, but for me the massive arched stretcher counters the tendency for inwardly canted legs to look delicate or unstable. To me, the base looks like it is offering up the magnificent top for people to admire.

Excellent use of some beautiful wood. Thanks for sharing.

I like the piece and the grain is extremely nice. I am neutral on the canted in legs. A touch of Oriental was my first thought which adds some spice.. so be it! I would have probably gone veritical or splayed them out as John K. mentioned but... that is strickly a design decision made by you.. intended for you and reflects what you like. That is the vast majority of what really matters in the end result as I and others are basically "one-time" viewers in reality.

Nice job...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I suspect the canted inward appearance of the legs is due to barrel distortion from the camera lens. However, my only critique would be that I would've added a small curved cut-out at the base of the legs for two reasons. One is stability - the curved cut-outs in effect make 4 "feet", and it's much easier to level 4 feet on a slightly irregular floor than it is to get two board ends to set level. The second is style - adding such a cutout (whether it be curved, heart-shaped, cupid's bow, or something else) adds visual interest and ties the leg's shape to the graceful curve of the stretcher.

Nice piece!

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    I suspect the canted inward appearance of the legs is due to barrel distortion from the camera lens.
    They are canted. About five degrees. I know what you mean about adding support to the legs. The table is a little tippy on carpet, but fine on a harder surface.

Anything made with figured maple is fine with me....I am growing fond of the raw edge look on some of the pieces here.
    I am increasingly envious of the level of skill and imagination of the members here.

Nice job!