Thread: Which side of plywood to use?

Which side of plywood to use?

I bought a sheet of natural maple B2 WPF plywood and am embarrassed to say that I don't know which side is the "good" side. I assume the one on the right is good side because it is very clear and almost white. The one on the left has more grain which I don't see as being bad. I have attached two pictures of the same piece, one of each side. Please Help!!

Thanks,
    Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

"B2" means it is the same appearence grade veneer on both sides. It makes no difference which side is used.

"B2" also means it is paint grade. In other words it's intended to be painted, not stained. However, with careful selection, you can frequently stain it and end up with a nice looking surface.
    Howie.........

Simple, choose the side you like best!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'd say your Side 2 is the face, Side 1 is the back:

"B-Grade Face---a "B" face on hardwood plywood should be matched for a pleasing color, but not necessarily for grain. "B" grade faces are generally very similar to "A" faces, but do allow some sound or repaired knots and some slight rough cut veneer. "B" grade faces will also allow slight mineral streak and vine marks. "B" grade faces are, often used by customers wishing to save a little money on plywood. Many suppliers offer the "B" grade faces in lieu of "A" grade faces in an effort to be more price competitive. Comparing the price of "A" grade faces and "B" grade faces is not comparing apples to apples. Always be sure to specify the face grade of plywood you are wishing to receive.

2 Back---can contain up to 16 sound tight knots not exceeding ¾" in diameter. A "2" back can also contain repaired knots, rough cut veneer, and unlimited mineral streak. Many suppliers, in an effort to cut cost pair a "2" back with an A face. Don’t be misled by those who say an A-2 panel is the same as an A-1 panel.

WPF=WHOLE PIECE FACE---this is exactly what it is. Whole piece faces are made of rotary cut veneer. The whole piece face will not contain any splices. A whole piece face will give a continuous grain pattern across the entire panel."

Source: http://www.schallerhardwood.com/new_page_2.htm

P.S. Thanks for the opportunity to educate myself a bit...
    Last edited by Jim Watts; 10-24-2009 at 4:24 PM.