Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spiral cutterhead for jointer

spiral cutterhead for jointer

i have been looking at the grizzly 609x - still a little pricey, but as this is probably the last jointer i purchase, need to buy something good. my question is, do i really need the spiral cutterhead, an extra $700.

since the jointer is to get one side flat, then the planer makes it parallel - and i typically do both sides, not sure the spiral is required. unless i do highly figured wood (not yet) and there is deep chipout.

any thoughts on this? I would rather put the extra money into a better planer (currently have an old makita planer (11.75")/jointer (5")), unless there is good reason to spend it on the jointer and wait a little longer for the planer.

extra thought. i can purchase the go609 for $1795 or so and spend $695 for the spiral cutterhead and still save $100 on purchasing the go609x as the 609 has free shipping. if i forgo the exta $695 on the cutterhead, i can always add it later.

thanks ... jim

NEED? No. Would like very, very much? Yes.

I tried a friends Byrd head for the first time this weekend. I couldn't make it tear out even in some fairly curly maple. Thinking about one for my own jointer now after struggling through my whole kitchen build with tearout.

Quote Originally Posted by james bell View Post
    since the jointer is to get one side flat, then the planer makes it parallel - and i typically do both sides, not sure the spiral is required. unless i do highly figured wood (not yet) and there is deep chipout.

thanks ... jim
    Do you hate blade changes on the jointer? Otherwise, read the last sentence you wrote above. If you work with highly figured wood, that you will still run through the planer, put it in the planner first. (the cutterhead)

The spiral cutterhead works well not only in figured woods but anywhere you have a pronounced grain change. I do a lot of cedar and it sure helps around the knots. Also, I don't know how much use your jointer would get but a spiral (Grizzly or Shelis) might be the last one you put in. And the reduction in noise is a big plus. On the face of the board you may notice the lines of "scallops" but they sand out easily.
    And now for something completely different....

I just changed out my Grizzly jointer's head for a Byrd a couple days ago. Well worth it. It's amazing how much quieter it is. I wish I had taken a sound reading before the swap, but I'm guessing a 10db drop. And the finish is astoundingly smooth, the only time I see scalloping is if I feed too fast, but I could do the same thing with the standard head.

I recently put a Byrd in my 8" shop Fox jointer because I really hate changing knives and I really suck at it. I have mixed feelings about mine. I do get some tearout on normal grain boards quite frequently. My bigest concern is when I edge joint a board the edge is not flat. If you hold a square up to it the edges are slightly rounded over and makes it unacceptable for glueups. What's up with that. I am thinking about taking all the knives out and cleaning and reseating them to see if that helps. Does anybody have any suggestions. Sorry to hijack the thread. You can pm me with a solution if you want so I don't muddy this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    My bigest concern is when I edge joint a board the edge is not flat.
    Does this happen across the entire length of the cutterhead?
    Last edited by Joe Hathcoat; 10-14-2009 at 2:31 PM.

YES, get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hathcoat View Post
    Does this happen across the entire length of the cutterhead?
    I didn't try the entire length but the couple spots I have tried it happened.

not muddling up this thread - all information on pro's and con's of cutterheads is appreciate.

I would stay with knives on the jointer and put the spiral head on the planer. I only do a few passes on the jointer and the edge jointing, then the real cutting to size comes on the planer.

I installed a Byrd in my G0609 and would never go back to knives. It feels more smooth to push the wood across the cutter as there are more rows of cutters on the Byrd than the 4-knives that came with the jointer.

Not certain how the Grizzly head compares as I have never used one, but did hear them run. I think they are a bit louder.

For myself, I bought the jointer and planer first, and then when funds permitted, upgraded to Byrd cutterheads. I got them on ebay with the MS cashback and saved over $150 per cutterhead off of Grizzly's price.

Greg Stahl

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Do you hate blade changes on the jointer? Otherwise, read the last sentence you wrote above. If you work with highly figured wood, that you will still run through the planer, put it in the planner first. (the cutterhead)
    This seems like a great idea to me (although I had not thought about it before). Why would someone put a spiral on a jointer when it would seem like the sensible thing WOULD be to have it on the planer?

Blog Entries
    After months of research and trying things out, a spiral head was a "must have" when I bought my new jointer. I am really pushing toward changing planers or changing heads on my existing planer. The finish of the jointer is better than the planer; especially in any interestingly figured woods.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put a Byrd head on my General 480 close to two years ago.
    Like so much on the jointer that I upgraded my planer to one with a Byrd head on it also early this year.

Both are much quieter and tearout is pretty much non existent.
    No more hassle trying to get the knives perfect after a change.
    If one does nick one of the many cutters, a quick 1/4 turn and your back in business.
    A little pricey but well worth it in the long run IMHO.