Thread: next project - dresser/table... quick fire style (dial up users are warned)

next project - dresser/table... quick fire style (dial up users are warned)

Project: Heirloom dresser/changing table
    Due Date: Dec 30th and not a day later (actually might be early the docs say )

Goal: Loosly based on the below. No plywood, cherry, and solid sides that will go above the top to hold things in place.

Todays Progress:
    • PALS installed on TS, shark guard splitter realigned, and things seems much smoother going through.

• Jointer checked/tweaked in prep for a bunch of work

• Pulled the cherry lumber used for this project. I then cried while cutting 12" cherry boards to fit on my 6" jointer. This is why you want an 8" jointer everyone

Got some of the boards through the jointer, some more to go. Ugh, there's going to be a lot of glue in my house this week.

Side notes, kind of cool shot of the cutting boards in progress:

And since every new project needs a new tool

Rick, you better get moving on that project!! Looks like some good progress.

And I have that 8" jointer, but wish I had a 12"!! Never satisfied.

Some very nice cherry.

Congrats on the new arrival!

Nice looking plans and wood, too.

Watch out using the changing table--one night I was changing my son when he was about 8 months. I turned away for a second--literally a second--and he crawled off the end, falling head first into a laundry basket. No harm, no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Dunne View Post
    Congrats on the new arrival!

Nice looking plans and wood, too.

Watch out using the changing table--one night I was changing my son when he was about 8 months. I turned away for a second--literally a second--and he crawled off the end, falling head first into a laundry basket. No harm, no foul.

LOL....I put a strap on our changing table for that very reason. Once he was tied down, life got much easier.

Maybe you need a few hand planes to prep stock over 6" It would be cheeper than a 12" jointer!
    I love Cherry, Can't wait to see some progress on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Maybe you need a few hand planes to prep stock over 6" It would be cheeper than a 12" jointer!
    I love Cherry, Can't wait to see some progress on this one!
    I have a whole set and I wish I could do all the prep with hand planes. On my last project I did an entertainment center top and a workbench top by planes only. Trouble is the 3 hours it took me to do, and that was one side of one surface. This has 5 when I count left, right, top, bottom, and divider. Just running out of time before someone calls out "Tools Down!"

I've got everything run through the planer and have started ripping the extra side down. Hopefully glue up will be going down before the weekend hits.

Blog Entries
    Rick,
    I built the same table and the matching crib this past spring. When I get home from work I will post pics. I added a raised panel door in front of the shelves and a 6" rail on the front to prevent rolling or crawling off the changing pad. Pocket holes sped mine up. YES, you need to hurry. I finished my on a Sunday afternoon, that night my brother and I moved it to the nursery, 45 minutes later my wife's water broke, the baby was 3 weeks early. I was just in time, barely.

Keep up the good work well.. between diaper changes and feeding if you don't finish in time!

Congratulations on the new arrival to be!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler