Thread: 12" Jointer & Hand Plane Gloat

12" Jointer & Hand Plane Gloat

Over the weekend I scored a Hammer A3 31 Jointer/Planer for $2,250

I know it's not $1500 like some people have gotten, but what sweetens the deal is the unit was brand new, still factory packaged with the band straps securing the fence to the top. It has been sitting pretty in a garage for just months with the oil paper, and foam packing everywhere. After initial full inspection and conversion test, there was not a single flaw or sign of rust!

Then I saw the packing list and box of extras. This unit came with the rolling base, mobile arm, aluminum wheel, and digital gauge!

Prior to picking this up, I went to Harbor Freight the evening before and paid $105 for the 1-ton shop crane. (It is on sale for $129 - 20% off coupon). This unit was able to be set to the 1/2 ton setting and the boom could reach the center of the Hammer A3 perfectly. I used towing straps from harbor freight that worked out fine.

I was then able to lift the unit right up, and slide it into the back of a Honda Odyssey. Once it was in the van I slid the unit on a sheet of MDF inside so the 55" bed would clear the back door. Then used ratcheting tie downs to secure it in a diagonal. I then had some ropes and I secured it further.

So after being excited after getting the thing so easily inside the van. I gladly paid the full asking price for the unit, and then gave an extra $10.

Earlier during a tour of the shop I had seen a heavy hand plane that said "lie-Nielsen" on it. I know these things are nice because I keep hearing talk about them. So I asked the seller how much extra do you want for that hand plane.

$20 later, I now have my first Lie Nelson Hand Plane. I have absolutely no clue about hand tools, but it says "60 1/2 USA" in the back.

Anyways, I will welcome all roasts, and would like to thank everyone that gave me advice in my other thread, especially Rod who told me to read the manual before transporting the machine.

You SUCK.
    Mine is due in about 2-3 weeks. Let's just say I paid more than $2,250.
    Use the fence Luke

Those engine hoist are a back/life saver, that is how I got my PM60 off the trailer. Luckily it was loaded on with a fork lift. Does that one fold up for easy storage?

And sweet J/P!

Congrats Chris - great deal. I know you will be spending a lot of time with your new toy, and probably don't need that ol' LN plane - so I will be glad to take it off your hands for a cool 100% profit at $40. Deal??

Chris,
    I'll give you the opportunity to double your money on that dinky little hand plane - I'll give you $40 for it, and I'll even pay the shipping.
    Maurice

Congrats on your haul Chris, I have that same plane, you will find a million uses for it
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

$60 for the block plane (not joking).

The block plane isn't for sale. I'm keeping it.

However, what is for sale is my Delta Deluxe 6" jointer w/mobile base, and Makita 12" lunchbox planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Those engine hoist are a back/life saver, that is how I got my PM60 off the trailer. Luckily it was loaded on with a fork lift. Does that one fold up for easy storage?

And sweet J/P!
    Actually the HF shop crane worked out quite well and paid for itself the first time I used it. It rolled very easily holding a 700lb machine. When I fold it up, it takes up a rather small footprint in the shop so I've decided to keep it because it's going to help me with some of my other machines that I've always needed two people to handle. I also thought of a way so that it can help me hang some cabinets in the garage.

You can see the 2nd picture in the original post, that orange thing is the shop crane folded up.

The wheels are cast iron, it has hardened beefy steel bolts at the stress points and it didn't creak, bend, or bow when being used. The ram had plenty of hydraulic fluid in it so no need to add more. Fit and finish of the entire unit was a 9 out of 10. The pins that secure the feet are a bit difficult to remove once the crane has been used the first time, but that's understandable.

Everything lined up though during assembly you might have a little frustration if you have big hands. The instructions are a bit confusing at first since it is all "text" with tiny index assembly diagrams.

Nice serendipity on those block planes.
    They're upwards of $200 combined, I'd venture.

As I have said before Chris, really a fantastic deal. Your J/P is in pristine shape with a ton expensive extras. I am still finding rust on mine in odd places. I'll trade with you any day, and give you the difference in cash.

I was really interested to see how well the engine hoist worked for you. Did you lift the Hammer off the pallet or just off the ground? My Hammer is still on the pallet. I think I have to get a 2-ton hoist to get it to the 1/2 ton setting at the longest extension. Really cool to see how you got the Hammer into your mini-van. I would have never thought that it would fit.

Next step is to look into some dust collection.

Hi Chris,

That is one heckuva deal -- Congrats!! You are going to love the machine, and you will love it even more knowing that you saved sales tax and about $800 off the price of the machine (and shipping). Great score!

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    As I have said before Chris, really a fantastic deal. Your J/P is in pristine shape with a ton expensive extras. I am still finding rust on mine in odd places. I'll trade with you any day, and give you the difference in cash.

I was really interested to see how well the engine hoist worked for you. Did you lift the Hammer off the pallet or just off the ground? My Hammer is still on the pallet. I think I have to get a 2-ton hoist to get it to the 1/2 ton setting at the longest extension. Really cool to see how you got the Hammer into your mini-van. I would have never thought that it would fit.

David, if your pallet has a solid top like mine did, use a couple of scraps of pipe as rollers to roll the planer off the pallet, down a wood ramp to the floor.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Congrats, what an aircraft carrier. Comin' in for landing!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post

The HF 1-ston shop crane worked out perfect for my application. I lifted the unit off the ground just enough till it could clear the van, I think that if the pallet is under your unit then the 1-ton crane feet can't straddle the pallet.

My plan "B" would be to build a custom ramp that goes down one of the sides of the pallet. Then use a $15 harbor freight 6000lb come-along ratchet puller. Then drag the machine off the pallet and down the ramp.