Thread: Handsaw Atkins No 69

Handsaw Atkins No 69

Is there information out there to help me define the age, and etch design, for my Atkins No 69 ?

This is yet another rusty handsaw, just acquired for a $2 bid at a local estate auction. (it's an addiction)
    I was attracted by its nice handle, and the blade is nice and straight and suitable for restoration to a User Saw (when I get a round tuit). First step has been to try and decipher the etch from under the rust, and to begin research on the www for saw model data.
    Attached 3 pictures show; handle, medallion, and my rough sketch of the partial etch

The handle is an “Atkins Perfection Handle” (although when compared to the similar handles pictured on the Web, my handle design seems to have an extra curl at the base of the embossed pattern on the cheek, (by the medallion)) The etch is rather faint, although I'm fairly certain I've read the model number correctly (for some strange reason the lower half of this etch seems to be more legible than the top, opposite to my usual experience)

Questions are;

• when was this saw model No 69 produced ?
      • is there a clearer picture of the main etch.................and what's the wording of the Atkins quality endorsement alongside ?
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Rob,

Welcome to the Creek.
    Your profile does not show your location. As they say, three important things, location, location and location.

I can not help date your saw much more than say it has to be after the patent date.

Did find a little on the internet by searching, but that is something you can do.

This looked interesting:

http://www.mvr1.com/atkinssaws.html

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim,

(I've added my location)
    Unfortunately your referenced site doesn't give a publication date, or list a model 69. My saw (22", 7ppi) is similar to the Silver Steel regular pattern model 65 shown, but the etch is a bit different. (Presumably the #69 was made after the #65 was produced)
    [Atkins Catalog info on http://roseantiquetools,com also have no #69 listed]
    ...so, I'm still looking....

Rob

Rob,

More than likely you No.69 "REX" saw is from the 1920 period. The earlier versions had wheat carving on the handles instead of the pressed floral design. The hump or bump on the top horn was more pronounced on the earlier ones along with a more severe drop right in front of the birds mouth opening on the top.

Here's a pic from a pocket catalog I have from 1907. I don't think Atkins started making "Hand" saws until around 1896 or a little earlier. They had been in business from around 1857 but mainly made saws more for timber removal instead of carpentry. The "REX" saw was made in a straight back version (No.69) and a skew back version (No.68). They were Atkins best quality (I'm not including the no-set No.52), perfection handled, taper ground saws right behind the premium Atkins No.400/401 rosewood handle saws. They had a mirror polish and not the damskeened finish like the No.53 skew back and the No. 65 straight back. Not saying the damskeened finish wasn't a darned good finish also, because it was. I like Disston hand saws about as much as anybody but these were some high quality saws that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Here's a pic of the Atkins 400 for comparison. Notice the ones from this era had "Silver" plated screws! Later they went to nickel plating.

Here's a handle pic of one of my REX saws. They really are a very nice saw. The screws and nuts in the early ones are actually nickel plated steel, believe it or not. The medallion is brass, though. Later they became brass like all their other saws. I'm wondering if they thought steel would hold up better than brass, which it would. It's just today we think of brass as being the premium material.

Hope this helps out a little bit!

Take care,
    Daryl

Thanks Daryl,

Looks like this describes my saw as a REX no 69 OK

Can you read what the writing alongside the logo etch says ? (from your saw or the catalog)

Cheers,
    Rob
    (I'm hoping I can refurbish my saw handle to look as nice as yours !)

Hello Rob,

The secondary etching on your saw will read "Our A1 blade with perfection handle / adapted for rapidity and ease in cutting" / "E.C. Atkins & Co."

My earliest No.69 straight back REX (which I showed the picture of above) doesn't have this extra etch. Here's a pic, sorry it's hard to see. The top boxed in area says "REX" and the lower box is the model No. "69". This has the steel screws. The secondary etch on this one is a "Made Specially For" if I remember correctly, for a Chicago hardware store which I've seen on Atkins saws and other makers once in a while.

This etch is from a No.68 skew back of mine that I haven't cleaned up yet and is right around the age of your saw. It has the pressed floral pattern handle instead of wheat carving. The etch is different than my oldest one. It has the same main and secondary etch as your saw, except yours is a No.69 straight back. The model number location is at the bottom of this saw while the one pictured above is about mid-location with "No." being on the left side and "69" being on the right side.

I also have a third REX No.68 with a wheat carved handle but it has a main etch like my older saw but contains the secondary etch like your saw and my second one. Kind of shows a time line on the REX saws.

Take care,
    Daryl