Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granite Tablesaw Tops

1. The trunnions are cabinet attached, allowing the whole top to be moved to adjust level to the blade.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Scott Hildenbrand;1245404
    That said, had I had the money I'd have got the Grizzly G0661 instead while it was on sale..

Just my two cents.. [/QUOTE]
    Scott, I got one on sale and love it.

As for granite, my thought after reading comments about chips and cracks is , how long before the mfrs drop these lines and start selling ci retrofit kits. Now I see comments that people have them and have no cracking or chipping problems and love them. Each to his own, I guess. And the jury is still out on durability; let's see the comments in 5 years - still going strong or cracked like a pecan?

3. Yeah.. It's going to be some years before anything hard can be said about them under NORMAL usage from those who care about their tools..

I'd say scratching is my only worry about the top.. Chips are way less likely than scratches.. But then, a nice coat of wax cures those ailments.

IMO as long as the granite is not abused it should out live the cast iron. I owned one of the 1st steel citys saws with 3hp and a granite top and have nothing but good things to say about the top and the fence.

I have the Rigid R4511... As most, I bought it on sale and got it for less than any other saw in the same class can touch. You can't beat what you get for the price. As for those who think the granite top is not a good idea, I disagree. There seems to be people who are just afraid of something new and different from the long time norm. The added weight helps cut down on vibration, and a coat of wax makes it super slick. I am willing to bet that, with normal use, the granite top will last at least as long as cast iron. The thinner granite used in kitchens takes a lot of abuse and lasts forever, so I believe the thicker, more dense granite is more than adequate for a saw top. Just don't use it as a work bench. I wouldn't expect that any of you use your CI top saw for a work bench either. Smack your CI top with a hammer hard enough to crack granite and see what happens... You'll more than likely see a crack.

My .02

And yes the trunion is cabinet mounted... The SC and Ridgid saws are pretty much twins.
    Last edited by Adam Strong; 10-27-2009 at 4:56 PM.

I am always tugging my cabinet saw to various angles to saw a longer board. I wouldn't want to try grabbing the corner of a granite top and doing that. And yes,my saw is on a mobile base. Apparently not heavy duty enough for my 600# saw,though it is rated for more weight. It is a Shop Fox.

+1 for whatever makes you happy!

8. Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I wouldn't want to try grabbing the corner of a granite top and doing that.
    If I'm manly enough to crack my saw top by dragging it around via a grip on the top, I'm entering the strong man competition.. I'll be a shoe in!

Which, btw, I do give it a shove and a yank by the top when I need to turn it or scoot it in one direction or another.. I'd RATHER grab the top and do that than than the split fence rail.. Much stronger..

But like Eric says... +1 for what ever makes you happy... Works for me!

How about a Granite topped Sawstop? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just figure we could beat a different horse to death.

What ever makes the owner happy is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    How about a Granite topped Sawstop? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just figure we could beat a different horse to death.

What ever makes the owner happy is fine by me.

I had to bit on this one. I think a granite topped sawstop would be the cat's behind. I would trade my current sawstop in for one in a heart beat. I like granite much better than the cast iron. The cast looks better, but the granite is more maintenance free. But I really think a granite sawstop would be way to gimiky for many. But dont knock granite until you have owned one. It will change what you think about it.

The guy I sold my granite saw to wasn't sure about the granite. He had always had cast machines. But he decided to give it a try. About a month later he called me looking for an end cap that fell of the fence tube when I delivered it. I asked him how he like the granite. He told me that he would never go back to a cast machine if he could help it. Look no maintenance, I don't have to wax it, or worry about setting my beer on it. It truly is a "table" saw.

I'm holding out for granite saw blades!!!!!

Cast iron tops are not that hard to maintain. About once every 4-6 months I clean top with penetrating oil and scrub with a scotch brite pad and wipe dry with paper towels. Then take 409 and hit the table with it to remove any residue from penetrating oil. Then the last step is 3 coats of Johnson Paste wax. Takes about 15 minutes less waiting for wax to haze up to buff clean. I like my cast iron.

Most of the great ideas in woodworking machinery come from Europe..

Those little carbide knives in your Helical head.. Made in Germany..

Mini-Max.. = Italy..

I would be more comfortable with Granite if SCM, Felder or Griggio had introduced it..

+1 For Cast Iron.

Blog Entries

Question Cast iron

I like my cast iron unisaw myself , and didn't really realize that cast iron wArping was a big problem. One if the import companies used to specifically highlight the fact that their castings sat for a few years before surface grinding so that they'd get pasta any warping

As for rust-- though I now live in the dry state of NM, I really didn't have problems with rust in Mass where I lived for some 20 years--a little bit of paste wax a couple of times a year was enough. As for the table rusting I worried more about the trunnions, etc. Thingsyou can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Most of the great ideas in woodworking machinery come from Europe..

Those little carbide knives in your Helical head.. Made in Germany..

Mini-Max.. = Italy..

I would be more comfortable with Granite if SCM, Felder or Griggio had introduced it..

+1 For Cast Iron.

No offense, but that is the strangest logic I have ever seen. Good for you making it as far in life as you have with reasoning like that. And I'm all about European products and engineering...cars to motorcycles to tools.

wow...

Cheers.