Thread: Penn State Variable speed conversion motor

Penn State Variable speed conversion motor

Has anybody tried retrofitting a lathe with the*Penn State Variable speed conversion motor? *Does it have less power than your original motor? *If I try this I'll be putting it on a Delta LA 200 with a 5 step pulley arrangement. *Any thoughts on power for turning small face plate items? *With the new lathe coming, my old lathe will be used a lot for buffing. *Is this motor going to have enough power for Beall buff wheels, or will it be constantly bogging down? *In the reviews I have read, some say the motor overheats, bogs down and requires frequent resetting, however, these reviews are few compared to the good reviews. *Any other thoughts on this motor? *Thanks for the help.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I am very interested in any anwers you get too. I have wanted to upgrade my Jet 1014 to variable speed and would like to know more about the PennState conversion motor. I bought one of the small HF 95607 lathes and after doing some work on the toolrest and making a handwheel for the headstock I like it very much. I prefer it for my penmaking because of its variable speed, but it is underpowered for any bowl type objects. I would like to outfit my Jet with variable speed so I can have an easier time when making my bowls and such. I have read reviews, both positive and negative about the PS conversion. I am very tempted to try one but I don't want to shell out a hundred bucks without knowing for sure how it works for other folks.
    Thanks for posting the question Brian.
    Tim.

Brian, I tried the Penn State conversion on a Jet 1014. I felt that it lacked power when I tried to use my Beale buffs on it. I am currently attempting to retro fit a 2 1/2 hp treadmill motor. I hope it works out.

I have used the Pennstate variable speed motor on my Jet 1040 for a year of more. It does bog down, but you must also consider that it is a small motor of only a 1/3 horse I think. I have done polishing with the Beall polishing system. I have done a lot of pieces up to about 10 inches on it. It does get hot and trip the breaker switch on it. You have to learn to turn at speed in which it will handle. No aggressive turning it and take you time with, it well work great for you. Do not expect it do run and do what a bigger motor will do. I have enjoy my lathe more with this variable speed motor.

I would check Craigslist free section for treadmills. Bigger motor and less money.
    I put a treadmill motor on my lathe a while ago and it seems to have enough power for most tasks, although it will bog down if I get a little too aggressive.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

I just bought the PennState variable speed motor to put on my Jet 1014 but it says it is a 1/2 horse, not 1/3 horse as Cecil Walborn said. I am waiting for a warmer day to do the exhange of motors. I am hoping it will work well for me. (or I've wasted a hundred bucks, plus). I'll post my results when I get the motors swapped out.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

UPDATE,*

Here is the story so far. *Due to some of the comments I got on this thread, and the reviews on PSI's site about being under horsepowered, I bought a motor for a Turncrafter 3 Pro instead. *Not variable speed, but essentially the same as my original motor. *IT was supposed to have the mounting bracket and 5 step pulley with it. *They weren't in the box when it arrived. *The shaft on the new motor is almost 5/8, and mine was 1/2. *My old step pulley won't work on the larger shaft, so I am waiting for the pulley and mounting hardware. *We'll see what next week brings when the necessary hardware gets here.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling