Thread: shop fox tips / techniques wanted

shop fox tips / techniques wanted

i recently started using my shop fox moulder (the discontinued model not the new one) that looks and works like the w/h. does anyone have pictures of the sleds they use? tips on stock preparation? adding a digital height guage? or any general suggestions?
    thank you in advance

Hi Abram,

I can't share much since I just started using mine, also. I've been moulding plantation shutter slats. This is a 2 pass operation. For the second pass, I made a sled out of 3/16" plywood (I think it was a piece of mahogany underlayment - something around this thick seems appropriate). I glued some side rails made out of pine to the plywood. Then, I glued a couple of wedge cut slats the lenght of the sled to keep the curved surface of the slat from moving as the other (top) surface was moulded. Not a highly engineered thing - I think Norm showed this on his show in which he made plantation shutters. The sled is held in place with the clamps that came with the moulder. I just ordered a set of knives to make window and door casings. I haven't used them, but this will be a simpler one pass procedure. That's it, not much; keep us informed of what you're doing.

I have the same moulder as you. Bought my on clearance. It has paid for itself with some millwork jobs already. I also bought the guide system from W&H it fits fine on the moulder. I use a scrap peice of would to set the inner fence against the raising and lowering tubes . I mark the scrap for which cutter it works with and store it. Next time I use that cutter get my pre-marked scrap(spacer). And the machine it set to go.