Thread: A ZIA box for a New Mex friend

A ZIA box for a New Mex friend

Thought I would try a few things here on this box. It's cherry with a maple lid and some walnut and other scrap woods for the inlays.

The ZIA is the state symbol of New Mex so that gave me an idea for some inlays.

However, the "sun" part of the inlay was too hard for my limited skills, so I just cut one a bit oversize and glued it on top of the inlay rays. Easier and gives it a bit of depth.

Not happy with the top opening arraingments. It just lifts off ! Next time I'll use some brass rods in the back for a swing type opening.

Not one of my best efforts as it was more of a "scrimmage" than a real project, but it turned out pretty nice. I like the proportions of the box.

I glued a Nex Mex quarter on the inside of the lid.

Finish is my usual of the easy way out. Danish oil, a few coats, then wax.

Comments are most welcome !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like the Zia on maple. I was born in New Mexico, so if you need an excuse to make another zia box...... For hinges take a look at

You can get them from Rocklers and others. They are pretty easy to install and work quite well. Chances are they could still be added to your box.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Really like your inlay there Mark.. and agree you need to add a hinged opening..

And thanks to Lee for the picture and source of that particular hinge as it falls into one of those never seen that one before.

Very nice looking box...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler