Thread: Lie nielsen no. 1

Lie nielsen no. 1

Just curious...does anyone own a Lie Nielsen no. 1? What is it like? It looks to me like it would be very difficult to hold.

christopher schwarz addressed the holding issue in a recent blog post:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...Fast+Work.aspx

Blog Entries
    I own one and use it occasionally. Many of my planes only get used occasionally. The workhorses are called that for a reason.

There was a thread on the #1 not long ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...50835#poststop

In one of my posts in the thread is an image of a one handed grip that works for me.

The grip Christopher Schwarz shows in his article is another grip that also works for me on all my planes up to a #4 size.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have one

It's a white bronze one and I have used it but I like using the L-V premium block plane much more. About the same size but many more blade angles possible. Easier to adjust too.

That said, the #1 in white bronze (walnut handles) looks very nice sitting right next to my #2, the #66 beading, the 102 &103 block planes, all of them also in white bronze. (Yes dear I have a problem, I think I might be a collector. No wait - it's an investment. Yeh, thats it.)

Eric

PS: I do use them when needed.

OK, thanks for the replies. I did a search, but somehow missed the thread. Seeing it in the hand it looks like the sibling to the little Lee Valley shoulder plane.

Blog Entries

It Sure is Cute...

Looking at the little Lee Valley shoulder plane had me wanting one. Then I started thinking about where and how much it would be used.

If I was still working, I could buy it and the marking gauge and get in on the "good deal" for a couple of tools. The marking gauge would likely get the most use.

Instead, I am looking at an older #60 and maybe a modern LA BU Jack Plane to use on my shooting board.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I want one of the little shoulder planes to use as a Christmas tree ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I want one of the little shoulder planes to use as a Christmas tree ornament.
    o god, one for the shop, one for the Christmas tree, one as a paperweight on a desk. Might as well engrave them and use them as business cards for high end customers.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking at the little Lee Valley shoulder plane had me wanting one. Then I started thinking about where and how much it would be used. jim
    I would bet dimes to dollars the mini-LV would get more use than a #1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec View Post
    I would bet dimes to dollars the mini-LV would get more use than a #1.
    That may be, but my financial position is quite different than it was when the #1 was purchased.

I am still considering the little shoulder plane, but a lot of other things have to be considered ahead of it.

Retirement has some great advantages, but then there are a few disadvantages.

jim

I have a LN#1 (as well as a LN#2 and a whole herd of other LN's). It is not used much at all. I have used it by wrapping my fingers around the tote and onto he top of the blade. I got it as a present and intended to use it as a replacement for a block plane mainly because of the pain in my hands (57). I haven't yet reached that point!

I had one - white bronze, just felt it was way too small for my hands; and I love the feel of a bock plane. After buying it, I never felt I had an application that warranted keeping it; ending up seling it.

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Just curious...does anyone own a Lie Nielsen no. 1? What is it like? It looks to me like it would be very difficult to hold.
    Zach - I have both the #1 and the #2, and use them frequently in place of the 60-1/2 and #9 adjustable mouth block planes. The decision point is usually how much I have to take off a given board/project. If it's just a little, I use the block planes. However, if there's a fair bit to remove, I choose the #1 or the #2 because the grip on the block plane puts excessive pressure on the ends of my fingers and the side of my ring finger - to the point where it's painful.

There's another reason you might choose the #1 or the #2 in certain situations - length. Both are a bit longer than the block planes, so if you're working on a small item that demands a narrow and light plane, but maintaining straightness is important, the #1 fits the bill.

I think #1 is actually shorter than a #60-1/2.