Thread: Built in Home Theater

Built in Home Theater

My latest attempt at a home theater setup. I designed it to save space in my living room, and also to hide my stereo stuff from my future kid (due in March). The stereo components are housed in a cabinet below the tv that goes through the wall and into the closet in the next room. Its all solid cherry. Can you spot my last project in the photos? Its the end table that thumps. Plus this was a great way to convince my wife I needed a new tv. What do you think?

If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

WOW! I'm really impressed.

Wow, very custom and it's even got one of those IR repeater eyes.

Though does it still sound ok with the L/R fronts being so spaced apart? Acoustically speaking, I would put the subwoofer in the front left corner but if it sounds ok there, then I guess leave it because you've already done the wiring.

Thanks guys, I did have my subwoofer in the front left corner before with my old setup. I honestly don't notice a difference in sound with it in the back right. Also I like having my left and right speakers farther apart because I think it adds a lot to the dynamic of the overall sound. My center speaker produces 80% of the sound coming from the front anyway.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

I was going to say - I thought the center channel does a majority of the work anyway, and you want them spaced out like that.

Very impressive work! You really made great use of the space you have there. I look forward to projects like these one day when we have our own house.

Mark, I am not much of an audiophile, but I am very impressed with the design and execution of this project strictly from a woodworking perspective. Looks great, and compliments the room very well. And, of course, looks great with the new end table/speaker!

Blog Entries
    Mark,
    Looks GREAT.......
    I would probably add some upper cabinets or shelves on each side of the TV.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It looks really nice, but how do you get access to the rear of your components? Did you just run some extra wire so you can pull them out? Are they sitting on shelves, or do they come out as a unit?

I am not criticizing, so much as troubleshooting for my own situation

Very nice theater. The drawings look great too.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    It looks really nice, but how do you get access to the rear of your components? Did you just run some extra wire so you can pull them out? Are they sitting on shelves, or do they come out as a unit?

I am not criticizing, so much as troubleshooting for my own situation
    The back of the cabinet is ... uhh... hard to explain. The cabinet protrudes into 2 closets; my master bedroom closet and my master bath closet. I have access doors in both the master bath closet, and the master closet. Here's the photos of both closets.

View from Master Bedroom closet

View of Master Bath Closet

As John K., not into the audio but.. I am into getting any electronic device (especially a TV) into a wall so it doesn't dominate the arrangements of rooms. You did an excellent job of that and the surround compliments the room.

Extremely well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

12. I love it! You did a great job of planing this build. I like the clean look of this build, built in entertainmet center!