Thread: Dresser / Changing Table to Match

Dresser / Changing Table to Match

While I was building the crib I just posted, we realized we needed a dresser and changing table to match. I very quickly threw this together with some shop scrap birch ply for the carcasse, and some poplar for the legs and face frame. The top and drawer fronts are mdf.

The only real cost for this project was two sheet of baltic birch ply for drawers (1/4 and 3/4) and some drawer slides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Equally well done, and the perfect compliment to the crib bed!!

What JK said.. I am curious as to the finish. Using ply on this how did you get the ply finish to match the crib finish which it at least appears to do? That deserves special credit as the few times I have worked with ply I came close but just couldn't get what I felt was a match made in heaven by my own standards which are somewhat low I suspect.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hoppe View Post
    While I was building the crib I just posted, we realized we needed a dresser and changing table to match. I very quickly threw this together
    Todd, this looks really slick. Great overall proportions. Your own design? How many cumulative hours in design and construction for this guy?

1. The finish is Zinsser BIN shellac primer, tinted dark grey with universal colorant, sprayed on. The top coats are Target EM 6000, tinted opaque jet black with universal colorant, sprayed on. Basically, both the crib and dresser are painted pieces, so the match was easy.

2. This was my own design, on the fly in the shop. Exclusing finishing, there was probably about 10 hours into the actual woodworking and cutting parts, and recutting parts where I made mistakes, but a lot more time messing around fitting drawers and finishing. I finished it at the same time as the crib, so that resulted in some efficiencies.