Thread: choice of vises for neander bench

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

choice of vises for neander bench

I am about ready to start building my dream bench based mainly on Lon Schleining's bench FWW No. 167 (Winter 2003/2004). I have the Veritas Twin Screw vise he shows on the right hand endvise.

Question is: Would a Veritas Tucker Vise be a reasonable choice for the left hand side front vise given that this will be an all purpose neander bench?

Maybe I would be better off with a more traditional vise on the front and mount the Tucker somewhere else?

James

Tucker info

I have a Tucker (recessed) on left front and the twin screw on the right end.

It works well for me but I also have the Noden adjustable legs which help getting the work to a good working height.

I'm not sure if Lee Valley still is selling the Tucker. Last I heard they were looking for a new source of parts.

Eric

Blog Entries
    Isn't the Tucker primarily a carvers vise - if so, you are a better man, that stuff seems like it's for grown ups.

I too am going to begin my new bench soon. I heavily considered the twin screw but it can't go the full width of the edge because it sits against the wall and it would get cramped. The 16" would work but I think I'm going to opt for the quick release (one edge recessed into the edge of the bench) for a tail vise because the one I have gets so much use.

This next one is going to have a leg vise but the front edge of the top will have a recessed dado to accomodate an aluminum track. That way, I can utilize a support clamp along with the leg vise to get the same thing done as the twin screw. Along with my bench slave, the leg vise gives me almost infinite horizontal room and using the same device, the tail vise can give almost infinite perpendicular room. The leg vise end of the bench will also have a sliding planing stop and of course the top will have all the obligitory dog holes but I'm going to opt for square since it's being built new.

Starting to get tired of reading the workbench books - it's time to get going.

James,

If you don't already have a Tucker vise in hand, you'll have a tough time finding one. Lee Valley discontinued the vise over a year ago. Too bad. They were very nice vises.

I have a LV Twin screw vise as the end vise on my bench. I'm satisfied with it. But, if I were building the bench today, I'd use the twin screw as a face vise and install a more traditional tail vise.

Actually, today I'd use Jameel Abraham's "Glide" leg vise and his tail vise - which is actually a "wagon vise". http://benchcrafted.com/products.htm Both of these vises are wonderfully easy to use, smooth operating and very strong. Christopher Schwartz at Popular Woodworking Has had a lot of good things to say about leg vises in his publications recently, and they have become "in vogue." Many people swear by them. There are many iterations of the leg vise, but the Bench Crafted one is truly an advancement in the traditional design.

The wagon vise provides you with the ability to clamp work to your bench with bench dogs, but it is a much stronger construction than the traditional tail vise. Jameel's wagon vise is a dandy.

I'm not affiliated with Jameel Abraham or Bench Crafted in any way. I'm just an admirer of the products.

My $.02.

Hank
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 10-31-2009 at 12:19 PM.

As usual, I didn't follow anyone else plan, just did my own thing, one end has a Columbian knock off of an Emmert patternmakers vise (a gift from an old neighbor years ago), back side has two 7 inch normal WWing vises from old school benches which can double as another face vise, other end has what they are calling a wagon vise, front right hand corner next to emmert clone has an old style leg vise, other corner has a crochet vise, there is also a front vise near that end, plus a front apron with 36 dog/holdfast holes, and the top has 39 dog/holdfast holes. Its 60 inches long, and 27 inches wide, made of timbers sawn from a Pin Oak log.

The bench build is the first thing in the FAQ's post in Neanderthal Haven forum. FWIW
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I have a Tucker (recessed) on left front and the twin screw on the right end.

It works well for me but I also have the Noden adjustable legs which help getting the work to a good working height.

I'm not sure if Lee Valley still is selling the Tucker. Last I heard they were looking for a new source of parts.

Eric
    Hi Eric,
    I do not quite understand what you mean by recessed. Did you place the rear jaw into the bench top so that it is flush with the remainder of the front apron? I would like to hold long boards edge on for jointing with a No.7 plane, using the Tucker to hold the board at one end and some kind of mobile support at the other end. Seems it would be steadier if the board to be planed were supported by leaning against the front apron, but then the vise holding it has to be mounted so that this is possible. I am not being very clear here. You wouldn't happen to have a photo would you? Thanks.
    James

My workbench

Here is the link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102856
    to my workbench.

Yes, my rear jaw of the Tucker was made flush with the 6" apron (with dog holes). You can see that I'm holding big boards with the Tucker rotated.
    Actually it's not exactly flush. It is about 1/8" proud to compensate for the leather jaws to compress.

One thing about my setup. I use all sides of my bench and usually clamp a board in the twin screw vice as a stop to plane boards. My shop is in the basement (no windows) and I'm in the middle of the room.

Here is another view of my Tucker (scroll down) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100611

Hope it helps.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 11-01-2009 at 1:58 AM. Reason: add extra link

Woodcraft still sells a pattern makers vise clone.

post # 28 here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rt+vise&page=2
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand