Thread: Warning On Making Children's Toys to Sell

Blog Entries

Warning On Making Children's Toys to Sell

This article was brought to my attention. It was something of which I was not aware.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/bu...?_r=1&emc=eta1

Apparently, a lot small toy makers are not going to be able to continue. Most of my toys have been made for my grandchildren, but my thoughts have included selling them.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What next?

I suppose that we will have to put on labels showing all product contents just in case someone may be allergic to something. Glad I don't sell any of my work. Probably another thing to happen will be contractors giving customers a hazard analysis list of all the things they build. Good thing they aren't too concerned yet about all the sharp edged tools we have.

Eric

Seen many two foot step ladders lately? There not long enough to fit all the OSHA and warning labels on.

Jim,

This started a couple or so years ago, has been "put on hold", in large part (I believe) due to the overwhelming voice that was heard from the Mom and Pop shops throughout the U.S., mine included. Best thing to do is write your legislators and fuss. This is a classic case of punishing all for one's wrongdoings.

You can check out more at

http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Jim - At this point, you can still make things for sale under certain guidelines and not run afoul of the law. Specifically, you can make toys completely out of wood (no metal or plastics) and leave them unfinished. For right now, the law is not being enforced while the agency drafts regulations for enforcement - it's possible that the provision that wooden items sold unfinished will not be subject will make it into the final regs.

To me, the ridiculous part about the law is that you have to submit only one test part for each design. If that passes, then you have carte blanche to make that design forever, as long as the design (which I assume means materials also) doesn't change.

I'm sure that all parties will honor the spirit of the law and we will all live happily ever after.