Thread: how can I fix this door?

how can I fix this door?

It is attached with two butt hinges. The top is flush, but the bottom sticks out by about 3/16". Can I adjust the hinges somehow to bring the bottom corner in without affecting the top side?

Is the table new? If so return it. If not it seems that the door has stiles, rails or a twisted field.

Yes you could shift the hinges, but that would only lessen the twist at the bottom by introducing a twist at the top. A straight edge will identify which door element has the twist.

If the table is finished, and you don't want to dissemble the door your options are pretty much learn to live with it or shift the hinges.

If the door flexes pretty easily, you can add a catch to hold the bottom in. There are about a million different kinds, a few of which are shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView....Q&cookietest=1
    David DeCristoforo

Tyler,

As Brad notes, by bringing the top hinge corner out you can bring the bottom closing side in, but the best you can do is split the difference unless you're willing to remove the door entirely and plane a bit off both stiles.

Or get a catch/latch that David suggests. Sometimes, with emphasis on the rarely, by wedging the offending part of a cabinet door closed for a week or so it will take on the new, desired position. Mostly works with unfinished parts, but what the hey?

LOL @ returning it - unfortunately I built it so the manufacturer doesn't accept returns! But I'm honored that my work was mistaken for store-bought...

I guess I will try adding a magnetic catch at the bottom corner and hope it relives over time. Not a fatal error but the most noticeable one on this piece so I'd like to fix it.

"...I will try adding a magnetic catch..."

Don't overlook rare earth magnets. Way stronger than those "cheapo" hardware store magnetic catches.
    David DeCristoforo

how about trying to twist the door?
    put a small block on the top of the door to hold it out
    then apply pressure with a clamp to the bottom of the door
    wait a day or week

there is also the chance of adding moisture to the formula

I like the rare earth magnet trick but it always feels funny when the bottom of the door has the latch and the top of the door has the handle

feels like the door is binding...

I've been there. I'd rip the stiles off, trying to maybe save the rails, definitely trying to save the panel if it is not warped and start over. Maybe the catch thing works, maybe not with QSWO. If not I wouldn't hesitate to remake a bad door for a piece that beautiful. I don't think any hinge adjustment will over come that much twist.

Tyler,
    It's hard to tell in the photo how much the bottom is out, but I've seen very old pieces where the front of the door was hand planed to feather that section down to bring it close to flush. The only time you can notice it is when you open the door and carefully inspect the edge of the stile.

Pull the door place on a flat table use a spacer under two corners opposite corner and clamp it down for a few days . So tweak it in a over twisted condition.

Some times the go right back to the sprung condition, maybe you'll get lucky.

"Pull the door place on a flat table use a spacer under two corners opposite corner and clamp it down for a few days"

Works better if you chant Om Mani Padme Hum for the entire time. Or you could go with Peter's suggestion and just suck it up and remake the door...
    David DeCristoforo

Nice job. Did the door warp? Is it in the same plane? Looks like the top, top left side and the hinge side are ok, just the bottom left kicked out. IMO if its warped the only fix is to make a new one. Take the left side off and put a new pc of wood on.

I have to agree with Peter Quinn it is the best way to fix your problem.

Dennis