Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrugated Planes

Corrugated Planes

Does anybody have any advice to give about corrugated planes ? Do the corrugations really make them any easier to use?

Corrugated planes have less bearing surface to come in contact with the wood. They are usually a bit heavier than thier flat counterparts. I use my K-5c ( Keen Kutter corrugated) far more than my Stanley #5. The K-5c just does the job quicker for me. Most of my planes are corrugated and I just find I like them better.

Planes-Corrigated or not?

I believe the addition of corrigated planes to the Stanley line was just a marketing ploy. I have a complete set of Stanley bench planes and the Bedrock series and I can not tell any difference in the amount of effort it takes to push them through the materials. JMHO

I have one and like it. The only difference I see, however, is that it was easier to lap the bottom when I received it as there is less material to remove.

However, assuming you only do that once in a very very long while, that is not that big of a deal.

Michael

Corrugations on planes

Corrugations on planes were not just another marketing ploy by Stanley. They provide less friction on the surface making it easier to move your plane smoothly. I believe corrugations are practical for joiners (7,8) and even 5,6 size planes. But as for corrugations on a small plane (2's & 3's) the only use is making their price more hefty for the collector. Although some of the changes did not seem practical, most of the time they were for a reason other than selling planes.

I have an old Record No. 07 that I've had for many years, and it seems to me to have less friction than my smooth sole planes. Take that for what it's worth, as it's just my personal perception.

I use candle wax the bottom of my planes, quickly in the form of an squiwiggle, and skip the corrugated route.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Garrett
    Does anybody have any advice to give about corrugated planes ? Do the corrugations really make them any easier to use?
    I have and use both and I can't tell any real practical difference. I wouldn't pay extra for a corragated as a user plane. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either.

Kinda look interesting at least I spose.

Corrugations, or the Great Corduroy Controversy

First, the friction is unlikely to differ, since the plane weight's about identical.

Second, I've experienced "steering" with my corrugated No. 6 when a corrugation catches on the corner of the stock (like hitting a railroad track at the wrong angle on your motorcycle, though not quite as near-death an experience).

Third, people talk about the grooves holding wax. Wax bonds poorly to itself and well to surfaces, so waxing a plain plane sole will result in a nice slippery surface with a microscopically thin coat of wax; it seems to me that having lumps of wax in the grooves to wear off onto the wood is not good, and I've found that waxing the soles of my plain-sole planes lasts for hours of planing.

Fourth, visiting Wood Central's Hand Tools forum link to woodcentral removed (violates terms of service) and searching the archives (link at the left) will offer up multiple threads on this subject, with the usual diversity of opinions.

My conclusion: if you're choosing between two used planes, one with and one without, pay more attention to all other factors of condition before choosing corrugated or not (and then I'd choose not, but that's me); and if buying a new one, save your pennies and don't get the corrugated.

Bill Houghton
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 11-21-2006 at 9:33 AM.

(http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/msgset.shtml)

you're in trouble now, but I'm not going to turn you in.

12. I am with the tribe that claims corragated planes are merely a marketing ploy. While the theory regarding less surface area on a board equates to less friction may seem sound, I think you will find what corrigation really does is allow a mis-machined, or mis-cast plane to be turned into something usable.

With corrigation, pits and mis-machining can be milled out if the grooves line up right, and if a machinist manipulates the machine just right, this is easily accomplished.

Personally I have nothing against this manufacturing practice, as it is foolish to turn an otherwise usable plane into scrap iron just because of a pit or error. Still don't be decieved, its only creative marketing as others have pointed out.

This is off topic - You can't post links to other woodworking sites? That's stupid. Are the people who run this site worried that if people see other sites that they'll leave? I visit WoodNet, WoodCentral, UKworkshop, as well as Sawmill Creek and I don't believe the other sites have such restrictions, but I could be wrong. Seems kinda silly, I thought that these sites were for sharing info with each other and being able to post links is a great way to accomplish that. Oh well, I guess I should expect this post to be deleted for my subversive veiws.

Oh and I have both corrugated and non-corrugated, I don't see much advantage but I do think the corrugated soles look cool.

John.

I'm not going to argue with you John about the terms of service. The reasoning has been discussed many times over the last few months on the Support Forum. Bottom line is that it eats bandwidth and over time links often go dead. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and while respect it, those are the rules I've agreed to enforce.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Sorry for eating bandwidth!