Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easiest way to cut a circle?

Easiest way to cut a circle?

Wanting to build a lazy susan for my mom...say 18-24in...

What's the easiest way to do this? Bandsaw jig, router? I have a fairly complete shop.

Thanks!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    Wanting to build a lazy susan for my mom...say 18-24in...

What's the easiest way to do this? Bandsaw jig, router? I have a fairly complete shop.

Thanks!
    A router would be the easiest if you have a circle cutting jig. A lathe is pretty much out of the question unless you have a large one.
    The simplest router jig could be made in just a few minutes. Get a scrap piece of plywood about 3 feet long and slightly wider than your router base.
    Mount your router at one end with a hole cut out in the center of the mounting location so that the router bit can fit through it. Then measure from the inner edge of the router bit down toward the other end of the plywood and mark a spot (centered) where the radius measures out to. Drill a small hole on the mark and run a screw through the plywood and 1/2 way into the wood you want the lazy susan to be. Dont tighten down on the screw because you want the plywood to rotate freely. Then turn on router and plunge into the stock and move in a clockwise direction. It will probably take several passes at progressively deeper cuts until you break through. When finished, throw the plywood back into the scrap pile.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 10-31-2009 at 7:30 PM.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Sorry... what is the easiest way to cut a plank into a circle?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    Sorry... what is the easiest way to cut a plank into a circle?
    I realized that as soon as i posted and changed my post. Sorry about that. I hope the edited post above helps.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I cut them on the table saw. The edges come out so smooth you need little or no sanding.

Here's a link to another but similar method.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...d=0CBoQqwQwAA#
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

another link to cutting circles

Follow this method and you can cut out your circle fairly quickly. I would drill a small hole part way in the center of the piece first though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_cg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I cut them on the table saw. The edges come out so smooth you need little or no sanding.
    I've seen that done....but just like jumping off a cliff, eating poisonous spiders, and drinking the water in Mexico - it is something that I would NEVER try!

If you have a router and a spiral bit or a straight bit, I think that's the easiest (and safest).

It can also be done with a bandsaw and a circle jig, but in my experience, there's less smoothing req'd with a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I've seen that done....but just like jumping off a cliff, eating poisonous spiders, and drinking the water in Mexico - it is something that I would NEVER try!
    I've cut them many times and despite how it looks, it's as safe as many other "stuff" we do on table saws.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I honestly dont see how that looks so unsafe. Your hands do have to be that close to the blade. And besides, if you use your head like anytime you are using a table saw, what could happen.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 10-31-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Band saw with a circle cutting attachment would definitely be the easiest, once you have made the jig. Router works fine, but is physically harder to do. Table saw works fine too, but takes multiple cut/passes. Band saw is one quick, easy cut.

Just watched that video. Yikes, I could just see that board kicking back and spinning his fingers right into the blade.
    Last edited by johnny means; 10-31-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: watched the video

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Band saw with a circle cutting attachment would definitely be the easiest, once you have made the jig. Router works fine, but is physically harder to do. Table saw works fine too, but takes multiple cut/passes. Band saw is one quick, easy cut.

Just watched that video. Yikes, I could just see that board kicking back and spinning his fingers right into the blade.
    Johnny,
    Make a hole at the center and secure the wood with a bolt, washers and a nylon lock nut.
    Start your router and use the micro adjuster ( depth)
    The router spins the wood,
    ( make sure you stay away from the spinning zone)
    and you're done in less than one minute.

Use your router to spin the secured wood.
    Not what we call " Dead Wood Concept) but very close.
    You can control the spinning with the right pressure on the nylon lock nut.
    Now, I have to try it just for fun.
    You got wood?
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 10-31-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Would not want to do 4" ones though! Being 2" from blade and have to spin it - no thanks.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Circle cutting

I would cut the circle with a Jig saw (outside the line) and then clean up the cut with the router and circle cutting baseplate if you need a perfect circle. I have also successfully cleaned up the cut with a belt sander. If you use a router for either the cleanup pass or the complete cut, I recommend a spiral bit as this minimizes the chip/tear out when going against the grain.

IMO I would never use the table saw. I always use the bandsaw then clean it up on the disc sander. Comes out perfect every time.