Thread: Stanley SW Curved Rasp?

Stanley SW Curved Rasp?

Trying to help ID this tool. anyone know?

"....It appears to be a vixen file posibbly for auto body lead work. Stanley is known for woodworking so that and plaster shaping has been suggested. The tool measures 14 1/2 inches across the face and 11 3/4 inches from side to side. The only markings include an SW inside a heart which the internet claims makes a tool more desirable. Can anyone tell me what this is, when it was made and a Stanley number so I can find it's value?..."

I have sent a link that will help him date the SW logo but I cant seem to find in any of the Stanley catalog scans. Any recognize it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a No. 694 Half Circle File Holder for a "Vixen" file for auto body work. You will find it in the 1939 Catalog #139. Tool not included in Walter's book. Do not know value, sometimes this type of holder brings good money, mostly of limited interest from my observations.

Cheers Peter

I thought of this Nicholson file immediately:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30&cat=1,42524
    If you click on the "view" button, you will see that the blade is very similar in it's pattern.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    You might find it is actually a tool made by one of the companies Stanley bought. Atha tools comes to mind. Couldn't find any rasps listed in the John Walter book.

Almost looks like something used to smooth sleeve bearings in a ship's drive shaft or engine.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks to Peter and the rest of you guys! Info has been passed along to Howard Dennis at Tool Talk.