Thread: Quick help this morning?

Quick help this morning?

Well, I started spraying varnish yesterday. I have a Rockler HVLP gun and it's not going well. First, probably wrong varnish, it is a poly from Sherwin Williams, not my choice. Second, it's cold! Mid fifties and I'm stuck working in the unheated garage and outside. With that said, I tried both tips that came with the gun and got about the same results, little spits of finish with the small tip and big spits with the other. I'm guessing it needs to be thinned but not sure what to do it with. I have 15 oak doors to finish and need to get them done in the next week or so. Can you guys make any suggestions to help me. I'm obviously I got in over my head in this! Thank you.
    Robbie

Rob,
    I've never used one, but maybe this might help.
    Good luck.
    http://aolsearcht2.search.aol.com/ao...ionType=TB50CL

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

If its poly that's intended to be brushed, its probably way to thick to spray. You might thin it (with mineral spirits, I think?)

I use a conversion gun but I've sprayed oil-base paint thinned about 15%. That's thicker than poly but hopefully gives you a frame of reference.

Yeah, Rob, you gotta thin it. Oil base, use mineral spirits. Start at about ten percent and test. Thin at five percent incriments until it lays out smooth. Check your air pressure, too much will cause orange peel. I'd also warm the varnish and thinner, (room temp. 70*), use a torpedo heater to warm the doors and spraying area, and turn it OFF when spraying. I hope your doors are flat, when spraying?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks guys! Yes, I'm doing the doors flat and I did have the varnish warmed, but not the doors. I was also, after reading today, thinking of going with a SW waterborne poly-varnish, would that work better? If not I'll stick to what he has and thin it with the mineral spirits. Thanks again for all the help. This is forum is a great source of good info!
    Robbie

Just wanted to thenk you again. I thinned it about 10% and it went on beautifully! It was a night and day differrence. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing now!
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hermann View Post
    Just wanted to thenk you again. I thinned it about 10% and it went on beautifully! It was a night and day differrence. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing now!
    Nothing quite like the feeling when something goes right. Carry on.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain